The incidence of diabetes is growing worldwide. An estimated 463 million individuals had diabetes worldwide in 2019, and this fee is predicted to rise to 578 million in 2030. Sort 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) accounts for roughly 90% of all instances of diabetes, and the prevalence of macrovascular and microvascular ailments is comparatively excessive.1
Insulin-like development factor-1 (IGF-1) is a pluripotent development issue that performs an essential function in tissue power metabolism and development.2 Just like insulin, IGF-1 will increase insulin sensitivity and peripheral glucose uptake, which cut back liver glucose manufacturing.3 Low IGF-1 ranges are related to an elevated incidence and all-cause mortality in women and men with T2DM,4 and insulin sensitivity is elevated by injecting IGF-1 into sufferers with T2DM or extreme insulin resistance.5 The expansion hormone-IGF-1 axis additionally performs a possible function within the pathogenesis of diabetes-related problems, and low ranges of IGF-1 contribute to the event of diabetic problems, together with diabetic neuropathy, diabetic nephropathy, and diabetic retinopathy.6 Sustaining circulating IGF-1 ranges is of nice significance for stopping the prevalence and growth of T2DM. Subsequently, it is very important discover the influencing elements of IGF-1 in sufferers with T2DM. The extent of IGF-1 is carefully associated to the dietary standing of the physique and food plan high quality and amount. Insufficient diet consumption has a damaging impact on the organic exercise of IGF-1.7 When power is scarce, plasma IGF-1 ranges are considerably lowered, and elevated calorie consumption will increase the IGF-1 degree.8
Uric acid (UA) is the top product of nucleic acid purine metabolism. The kidney is a vital organ for UA metabolism. Most UA is freely filtered within the kidneys, and roughly 90% of UA is reabsorbed by nephrons.9 UA is a redox agent that promotes and resists oxidation, and it has essential physiological results in people.10 Serum UA ranges are independently related to an elevated threat of diabetic peripheral neuropathy in T2DM sufferers,11 and it could predict the event of diabetic retinopathy and diabetic nephropathy.12,13 UA ranges are associated to dietary elements and mirror dietary consumption to a sure extent.14 Potential pathophysiology and prescribed dietary patterns result in dietary deficiency and imbalance in T2DM sufferers. Earlier research confirmed that hospitalized T2DM sufferers had poorer dietary standing than nondiabetic sufferers, which can have an effect on UA ranges.15
Latest research discovered that a rise in serum UA ranges was carefully associated to the prevalence of metabolic syndromes aside from gout, resembling dyslipidaemia, irregular glucose tolerance, hypertension, central weight problems and different metabolic problems.16 UA additionally induces insulin resistance through endothelial cell mitochondrial oxidative stress.17 The connection between UA and IGF-1 has acquired some consideration, however there may be little analysis on this relationship. Wang et al discovered a nonlinear relationship between IGF-1 and UA ranges in Chinese language kids and adolescents with idiopathic quick stature, and excessive and low ranges of UA had opposed results on IGF-1.18 Sesti et al demonstrated a damaging correlation between IGF-1 and UA ranges in nondiabetic adults.19
Nevertheless, the connection between UA and IGF-1 was not studied in sufferers with T2DM. As a result of UA and IGF-1 are related to diabetic problems, exploring the connection between UA and IGF-1 in T2DM sufferers will enhance our understanding of the problems of T2DM and will present new insights on its prevalence and growth mechanism. Subsequently, this research examined the connection between IGF-1 and UA in sufferers with T2DM in China.
Topics and Strategies
This cross-sectional research analysed knowledge collected from 1304 individuals from the Division of Endocrinology, Affiliated Hospital of Jining Medical College between July 1, 2017 and June 30, 2019. The analysis of T2DM referred to the analysis and classification requirements of diabetes proposed by the World Well being Group in 1999: diabetes signs + plasma glucose degree at any time of 11.1 mmol/l (200 mg/dl), fasting blood glucose (FPG) ranges of seven.0 mmol/l (126 mg/dl), or 2-h plasma glucose ranges of 11.1 mmol/l (200 mg/dl) in an oral glucose tolerance check.20 The entire topics enrolled within the research had been recognized with T2DM based mostly on the 1999 WHO requirements, had a historical past of diabetes analysis, or presently used oral hypoglycaemics or insulin. Topics with critical ailments of the guts, mind, liver, kidney, or blood, with tumours, with out acute problems, resembling diabetic ketoacidosis or extreme an infection within the close to future, had been taking drugs for gout, or who lacked knowledge on IGF-1 and UA ranges had been excluded. This research ultimately enrolled 1230 sufferers in response to these standards.
The Human Ethics Committee of the Affiliated Hospital of Jining Medical Faculty (Shandong, China) authorised the research. All sufferers had been knowledgeable of the goals of the research and signed knowledgeable consent types.
Normal info of the individuals was obtained from hospital medical information, together with intercourse, age, period of diabetes, household historical past of diabetes and use of hypoglycaemic medicine. There have been eight kinds of hypoglycaemic medicine: sulfonylurea, glinide, biguanide, thiazolidinedione, alpha glucosidase inhibitor, dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP-4) inhibitors, sodium-glucose cotransporter-2 (SGTL2) inhibitors, and insulin.
Contributors’ peak was measured after elimination of hats and sneakers. All individuals had been measured utilizing the identical peak metre (Nantong Greatest Industrial Co. Ltd., Jiangsu, China) with an allowable error vary of 0.1 cm. Weights had been measured underneath fasting circumstances utilizing the identical scale (China Jiangsu Wuxi Scale Manufacturing unit Co., Ltd.) to the closest 0.1 kg. Physique mass index (BMI) was calculated as weight (kilograms)/peak (metres squared). A skilled nurse measured waist circumference halfway between the costal margin and iliac crest, and the hip circumference was measured on the widest level across the larger trochanter. The waist-to-hip ratio (WHR) was calculated because the waist circumference (centimetre)/hip circumference (centimetre).
Following an 8–12-h interval of fasting, fasting blood samples had been obtained from all individuals for laboratory analyses. Serum IGF-1 concentrations had been estimated based mostly on a chemiluminescence assay (DPC IMMULITE 1000 analyser, SIEMENS, Germany) with intra-assay and inter-assay coefficients of variation of three.0 and 6.2%, respectively. Complete ldl cholesterol (TC), high-density lipoprotein ldl cholesterol (HDL-C), low-density lipoprotein ldl cholesterol (LDL-C), triglyceride (TG), fasting plasma glucose(FPG), and UA ranges had been decided utilizing an auto biochemical analyser (Cobas c702, Roche; Shanghai, China). Glycated haemoglobin (HbA1c) focus was measured utilizing a high-performance liquid chromatography methodology. Plasma glucose was measured utilizing a hexokinase methodology. Plasma insulin concentrations had been decided utilizing a chemiluminescent immunoassay.
Insulin resistance (IR) was estimated by homeostasis mannequin evaluation for insulin resistance (HOMA-IR) = FPG (mmol/L)×fasting plasma insulin (FINS)(μIU/mL)/22.5. The usual deviation rating of IGF-1 (IGF-1 SDS) was calculated in response to a earlier research.21
All statistical analyses had been carried out utilizing Empower Stats (www.empowerstats.com, X&Y options, Inc. Boston MA) and R software program model 3.6.1 (http://www.r-project.org). We initially described the final info and biochemical variables of the topics (Table 1). We categorical steady variables with a standard distribution as means (commonplace deviation) and steady variables with a non-normal distribution as medians (quartile). Categorical variables are expressed as frequencies or percentages. A univariate evaluation mannequin (Table 2) was used to look at whether or not UA and different anthropometrical and biochemical variables correlated with IGF-1 SDS. We examined the connection between UA and IGF-1 SDS utilizing clean curve becoming after adjustment for potential confounders (Figure 1). We additional used a multivariate piecewise linear regression mannequin to evaluate unbiased correlations between UA and IGF-1 SDS in response to clean curve becoming (Table 3). Two-sided p values <0.05 had been considered vital variations.
Desk 1 Baseline Traits of Sufferers with Sort 2 Diabetes Mellitus
Desk 2 Univariate Evaluation of Components Affecting IGF-1 SDS
Desk 3 The Unbiased Affiliation Between UA and IGF-1 SDS by Multivariate Piecewise Linear Regression
Medical and Laboratory Traits of the Topics
The medical and laboratory traits of the topics are proven in Table 1. A complete of 575 (46.75%) males and 655 (53.25%) females had been included on this analysis. The imply age of the individuals was 54.18 ± 11.89 years. They’d a mean period of 8.51 ± 6.74 years of illness. The imply ranges of IGF-1 SDS and UA had been 0.26 ± 1.42 and 4.71 ± 1.36 mg/dl, respectively.
Correlations Between IGF-1 SDS and Anthropometrical and Biochemical Variables
Univariate linear regression evaluation was carried out to find out the relationships between medical parameters and IGF-1 SDS. As proven in Table 2, we noticed vital constructive correlations between IGF-1 SDS and UA, HDL-C, and FPG (p<0.01) and damaging correlations between IGF-1 SDS and age, period of illness, HbA1c and HOMA-IR (p<0.01). There was no vital correlation between IGF-1 SDS and intercourse, BMI, WHR, household historical past, BUN or Cr (p>0.05).
Non-Linear Relationship Between UA and IGF-1 SDS
As proven in Figure 1, clean curve becoming confirmed a nonlinear relationship between UA and IGF-1 SDS after adjusting for intercourse, age, period of illness, BMI, TC, TG, HDL-C, LDL-C, Cr, FPG, HbA1c, HOMA-IR and hypoglycaemic medicine. There was a two-stage change and a breakpoint on this curve. When the UA degree was lower than the breakpoint, there was a constructive relationship between UA and IGF-1 SDS. When the UA was larger than the breakpoint, there was a damaging relationship between UA and IGF-1 SDS. As proven in Table 3, we additional analysed the edge impact based mostly on curve becoming, and the info indicated that the inflection level of UA was 4.17 mg/dl. IGF-1 SDS ranges elevated as UA elevated when UA was lower than 4.17 mg/dl (β 0.12, 95% CI −0.04, 0.28; P=0.121). Nevertheless, there was no statistical significance. IGF-1 ranges decreased as UA elevated when UA was larger than 4.17 mg/dl (β −0.38, 95% CI −0.64, −0.12; P=0.004).
This cross-sectional research noticed a nonlinear relationship between UA and IGF-1 SDS in sufferers with T2DM, and the UA inflection level was 4.17 mg/dl. When UA was larger than 4.17 mg/dl, the damaging relationship between UA and IGF-1 SDS was vital.
Hyperuricaemia is widespread in sufferers with T2DM, with a prevalence of twenty-two%.22 The usual of hyperuricemia is outlined by UA ranges above 6mg/dl in feminine and above 7mg/dl in male.23 In accordance with this criterion, hyperuricaemia was current in 7.24% of sufferers with diabetes in our research. We speculate that the variations in our research had been associated to a number of elements, such because the hyperuricaemia criterion, setting, dietary construction, and ethnic heterogeneity. Insulin resistance is a vital function in T2DM sufferers. The rationale for the elevated UA ranges in diabetic sufferers could also be associated to insulin resistance. Insulin resistance results in hyperuricaemia by growing the sodium-hydrogen ion change of renal tubules and the secretion of hydrogen ions, which promote the reabsorption of UA.24 Diabetic sufferers have many poor dietary habits, resembling a excessive glucose and excessive fats food plan,25 which can additionally result in a rise in UA ranges. These elements could contribute to the elevated UA ranges within the diabetic inhabitants.
Earlier analysis on the connection between UA and IGF-1 primarily focused on wholesome adults and adolescent populations, and no analysis examined their relationship in sort 2 diabetes. Our research discovered a damaging correlation between UA and IGF-1 solely when UA>4.17 mg/dl in individuals with T2DM. This pattern is in keeping with findings in nondiabetic people.19 Wang et al discovered that IGF-1 ranges elevated with growing UA ranges when UA was > 301 μmol/l in kids with idiopathic quick stature,18 which was inconsistent with the UA inflection level in diabetic sufferers and could also be as a result of completely different dietary habits of adults and kids. We additionally discovered that IGF-1 ranges decreased with growing UA ranges when UA reached the inflection level, however this turning level was throughout the regular vary and didn’t meet the factors for hyperuricaemia. This end result means that even within the absence of hyperuricaemia within the diabetic inhabitants, UA above a sure degree throughout the regular vary adversely impacts IGF-1. The rationale why the elevated UA reduces IGF-1 ranges could also be associated to the impact of UA on IGF-1 expression within the liver. Development hormone stimulation of the Janus kinase-2 (JAK2)-signal transducer and activator of transcription-5 (STAT5) signalling pathway is a vital regulatory pathway of IGF-1 gene expression. Human liver most cancers cell publicity to UA induced oxidative stress and protein translation that weakened the conduction skill of the pathway and downregulated IGF-1 gene expression.19 Insulin resistance is one other essential issue that impacts the connection between UA and IGF-1. There’s a shut relationship between insulin resistance and excessive ranges of UA.24 Elevated UA is deposited within the pancreas, which results in additional harm to islet β cell perform and aggravation of insulin resistance through the induction of cytotoxicity and apoptosis of β cells.26 Elevated UA ranges additionally inhibit insulin signalling pathways, which straight results in insulin resistance.27 Diabetic sufferers with insulin resistance exhibit decrease circulating IGF-1 ranges resulting from a lower in development hormone reactivity.28
Our research has some limitations. First, this research is a cross-sectional research that solely confirmed a nonlinear relationship between UA and IGF-1 ranges, and it couldn’t decide a causal relationship, which requires verification by potential research. Second, our research was carried out in sufferers with recognized diabetes, and the outcomes can’t be extrapolated to the newly recognized diabetic inhabitants. And all of our sufferers had been inpatients, so the outcomes can’t be generalized to common T2DM sufferers. Third, we didn’t measure IGF-binding protein (IGF-BP) or development hormone.
The current research described a nonlinear relationship between UA and IGF-1 SDS in sufferers with T2DM after adjusting for potential confounding elements. Nevertheless, the causal relationship between the 2 elements shouldn’t be sure, and additional analysis is required to establish the attainable mechanisms.
BMI, physique mass index; WHR, waist hip ratio; IGF-1, insulin-like development factor-1; IGF-1 SDS, insulin-like development factor-1 commonplace deviation rating; TC, complete ldl cholesterol; TG, triglyceride; HDL-C, high-density lipoprotein ldl cholesterol; LDL-C, low-density lipoprotein ldl cholesterol; BUN, blood urea nitrogen; Cr, creatinine; UA, uric acid; FPG, fasting plasma glucose; HbA1c, glycated hemoglobin; HOMA-IR, homeostasis mannequin evaluation for insulin resistance.
Knowledge Sharing Assertion
The datasets used and/or analysed within the present research can be found from the corresponding authors upon cheap request.
Ethics Approval and Consent to Take part
Human Analysis Committee Affiliated Hospital of Jining Medical College authorised the research. All procedures had been carried out in accordance with moral requirements specified by the Declaration of Helsinki. The entire sufferers had been knowledgeable of the goals of the research, and written knowledgeable consent was obtained.
Consent for Publication
All authors have learn and authorised the content material, and they comply with submit it for consideration for publication within the journal.
The authors declare that they haven’t any conflicts of curiosity.
1. Saeedi P, Petersohn I, Salpea P, et al. International and regional diabetes prevalence estimates for 2019 and projections for 2030 and 2045: outcomes from the worldwide diabetes federation diabetes atlas, ninth version. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2019;157:107843. doi:10.1016/j.diabres.2019.107843
2. Aguirre GA, De Ita JR, de la Garza RG, et al. Insulin-like development factor-1 deficiency and metabolic syndrome. J Transl Med. 2016;14:3. doi:10.1186/s12967-015-0762-z
3. Boulware SD, Tamborlane WV, Rennert NJ, et al. Comparability of the metabolic results of recombinant human insulin-like development factor-I and insulin. Dose-response relationships in wholesome younger and middle-aged adults. J Clin Make investments. 1994;93(3):1131–1139. doi:10.1172/JCI117065
4. Miyake H, Kanazawa I, Sugimoto T. Decreased serum insulin-like development factor-I degree is related to the elevated mortality in sort 2 diabetes mellitus. Endocr J. 2016;63(9):811–818. doi:10.1507/endocrj.EJ16-0076
5. Moses AC, Younger SC, Morrow LA, et al. Recombinant human insulin-like development issue I will increase insulin sensitivity and improves glycemic management in sort II diabetes. Diabetes. 1996;45(1):91–100. doi:10.2337/diab.45.1.91
6. Thrailkill KM. Insulin-like development factor-I in diabetes mellitus: its physiology, metabolic results, and potential medical utility. Diabetes Technol Ther. 2000;2(1):69–80. doi:10.1089/152091599316775
7. Maggio M, De Vita F, Lauretani F, et al. IGF-1, the cross street of the dietary, inflammatory and hormonal pathways to frailty. Vitamins. 2013;5(10):4184–4205. doi:10.3390/nu5104184
8. Underwood LE, Clemmons DR, Maes M, et al. Regulation of somatomedin-C/insulin-like development issue I by vitamins. Horm Res. 1986;24(2–3):166–176. doi:10.1159/000180556
9. Bobulescu IA, Moe OW. Renal transport of uric acid: evolving ideas and uncertainties. Adv Persistent Kidney Dis. 2012;19(6):358–371. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0078284
10. Hayden MR, Tyagi SC. Uric acid: a brand new have a look at an outdated threat marker for heart problems, metabolic syndrome, and sort 2 diabetes mellitus: the urate redox shuttle. Nutr Metab. 2004;1(1):10. doi:10.1186/1743-7075-1-10
11. Yu S, Chen Y, Hou X, et al. Serum uric acid ranges and diabetic peripheral neuropathy in sort 2 diabetes: a scientific assessment and meta-analysis. Mol Neurobiol. 2016;53(2):1045–1051. doi:10.1007/s12035-014-9075-0
12. Hou L, Shi Y, Wang S, et al. Associations of serum uric acid degree with diabetic retinopathy and albuminuria in sufferers with sort 2 diabetes mellitus. J Int Med Res. 2020;48(12):1220763532. doi:10.1177/0300060520963980
13. De Cosmo S, Viazzi F, Pacilli A, et al. Serum uric acid and threat of CKD in sort 2 diabetes. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2015;10(11):1921–1929. doi:10.2215/CJN.03140315
14. Beydoun MA, Fanelli-Kuczmarski MT, Canas J-A, et al. Dietary elements are related to serum uric acid trajectory differentially by race amongst city adults. Br J Nutr. 2018;120(8):935–945. doi:10.1017/S0007114518002118
15. Serrano VC, Lopez GJ, Garcia CS, et al. Affect of dietary standing on hospital size of keep in sufferers with sort 2 diabetes. Endocrinol Diabetes Nutr. 2020;67(10):617–624. doi:10.1016/j.endinu.2020.05.004
16. Ni W, Wang R, Liu Z, et al. Affiliation of serum uric acid with metabolic syndrome and its parts: a Cross-Sectional Examine in Chinese language Coastal Inhabitants. Metab Syndr Relat Disord. 2020;18(2):103–109. doi:10.1089/met.2019.0043
17. King C, Lanaspa MA, Jensen T, et al. Uric acid as a reason behind the metabolic syndrome. Contrib Nephrol. 2018;192:88–102. doi:10.1159/000484283
18. Wang P, Ji B, Shao Q, et al. Affiliation between insulin-like development factor-1 and uric acid in Chinese language kids and adolescents with idiopathic quick stature: a Cross-Sectional Examine. Biomed Res Int. 2018;2018:4259098. doi:10.1155/2018/4259098
19. Sesti G, Hribal ML, Procopio T, et al. Low circulating insulin-like development factor-1 ranges are related to excessive serum uric acid in nondiabetic grownup topics. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2014;24(12):1365–1372. doi:10.1016/j.numecd.2014.06.012
20. Grimaldi A, Heurtier A. Diagnostic standards for sort 2 diabetes. Rev Prat. 1999;49(1):16–21.
21. Isojima T, Shimatsu A, Yokoya S, et al. Standardized centile curves and reference intervals of serum insulin-like development factor-I (IGF-I) ranges in a standard Japanese inhabitants utilizing the LMS methodology. Endocr J. 2012;59(9):771–780. doi:10.1507/endocrj.ej12-0110
22. Arersa KK, Wondimnew T, Welde M, et al. Prevalence and determinants of hyperuricemia in sort 2 diabetes mellitus sufferers attending Jimma Medical Middle, Southwestern Ethiopia, 2019. Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes. 2020;13:2059–2067. doi:10.2147/DMSO.S252825
23. Multidisciplinary Knowledgeable Activity Power on Hyperuricemia and Associated Ailments. Chinese language multidisciplinary knowledgeable consensus on the analysis and therapy of hyperuricemia and associated ailments. Chin Med J. 2017;130(20):2473–2488. doi:10.4103/0366-6999.216416
24. Facchini F. Relationship between resistance to insulin-mediated glucose uptake, urinary uric acid clearance, and plasma uric acid focus. JAMA. 1991;266(21):3008–3011. doi:10.1001/jama.1991.03470210076036
25. Purifine AS, Ekou FK, Konan YE, et al. Dietary habits amongst sort 2 diabetic sufferers attending the Abidjan Diabetes Centre. Sante Publique (Paris). 2017;29(3):423–430.
26. Jia L, Xing J, Ding Y, et al. Hyperuricemia causes pancreatic beta-cell dying and dysfunction via NF-kappaB signaling pathway. PLoS One. 2013;8(10):e78284. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0078284
27. Zhu Y, Hu Y, Huang T, et al. Excessive uric acid straight inhibits insulin signalling and induces insulin resistance. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2014;447(4):707–714. doi:10.1016/j.bbrc.2014.04.080
28. Ji S, Guan R, Frank SJ, et al. Insulin inhibits development hormone signaling through the expansion hormone receptor/JAK2/STAT5B pathway. J Biol Chem. 1999;274(19):13434–13442. doi:10.1074/jbc.274.19.13434