Dr. Rachel Pontemayor’s childhood experiences of household, neighborhood and healthcare led her to decide on a profession in medication. “I grew up on Guam, an island neighborhood and US Territory within the Pacific. I used to be a sickly little one and was at all times visiting docs. So I noticed first-hand how useful docs have been to my household—what a distinction they made to a neighborhood,” she says.
Dr. Pontemayor sees sufferers at Pacific Medical Centers (PacMed) Lynnwood, As a household medication physician, she will get to know the entire household, at numerous life levels. “I get pleasure from seeing pediatric sufferers—I can join with households and assist construct wholesome habits!”
She helps younger sufferers put together for maturity, too. “As soon as a baby is 10 or 12, depending on maturity or developmental age—or the explanation for his or her go to—I normally join with the mother and father on having a minute or two with out mother or dad through the go to. I really feel it’s essential to assist youngsters foster their independence with a doctor, to be taught to take possession of their well being.” Nonetheless, Dr. Pontemayor at all times lets the kid know that she is going to share their discussions with the mother and father. “It’s essential for a teenager to be medically literate earlier than they depart residence and have to make well being selections as an grownup,” she provides.
Mother and father convey teenage daughters to their major care physician for numerous wants—corresponding to irregular intervals, too heavy circulation or elevated zits. “Throughout adolescence, it’s additionally crucial to display for psychological well being points, corresponding to despair and nervousness, and supply applicable assets to the household,” says Dr. Pontemayor.
“Older ladies typically come to me with points of accelerating urination, vaginal dryness and menopause signs. I’ve choices for them to think about, plus can seek advice from specialists when wanted,” says Dr. Pontemayor. “It’s a pleasure to look after lady in all levels of life.”
Dr. Pontemayor is accepting new sufferers. “I just like the team-based strategy to care at PacMed,” she says. “The specialists are phenomenal. We preserve in shut contact, which is so essential to continuity of care.”
Listed below are 5 areas Dr. Pontemayor encourages lady to consider in the case of their preventive care, in any respect levels, from childhood to maturity:
- HPV vaccine – prevents cancers of the mouth, throat and male/feminine genitals from ever creating by stopping the infections that trigger these cancers. “It’s the one vaccine now we have that forestalls most cancers, which is fairly wonderful! I at all times speak with mother and father to assist them perceive this essential vaccine.” Two photographs for girls and boys ages 11–15; or for ages 15–45, a three-shot sequence.
- Pap smear – helps catch cervical most cancers early. “Pap smears aren’t painful, simply mildly uncomfortable. Ladies can really feel weak throughout this vaginal screening, so I take additional care in explaining what chances are you’ll count on through the examination,” she says. Each 3 years for ages 21–29, and each 5 years for ages 30–65.
- Effectively-woman checkups – an everyday examination that features weight-reduction plan, train, age-appropriate screenings (mammograms, osteoporosis, pelvic examination if wanted) and immunizations.
- Contraception – corresponding to IUDs, depo shot and others. For diaphragm or cervical cap becoming, she refers to a gynecologist. And whereas Dr. Pontemayor doesn’t present being pregnant care, she does present prenatal counseling and might proceed to supply major care assist all through and after a affected person’s being pregnant.
- Weight-reduction plan – as a result of a well-balanced weight-reduction plan may also help ladies attain their targets and reduce their threat for sure medical issues. “It is very important talk about your weight-reduction plan together with your major care physician,” says Dr. Pontemayor. “At PacMed, we are able to refer you to considered one of our dietitians for diabetes, hypertension, or different wants.”
Dr. Pontemayor is a household medication doctor on the PacMed Lynnwood Clinic. To be taught extra about Dr. Pontemayor, please go to www.PacMed.org. To schedule an appointment name 1.888.472.2633 or just schedule on-line at www.PacMed.org/schedule.
(Sponsored by Pacific Medical Heart)