Second Harvest Meals Financial institution will host a community-wide meals drive this April to boost consciousness for senior meals insecurity and starvation.
April is Senior Starvation Consciousness Month, and Second Harvest says that 23 p.c of seniors in Louisiana, about one-in-four, face the specter of starvation.
“Many seniors dwell on a hard and fast revenue. They skip meals or select between shopping for groceries or paying their hire or utility payments, and even treatment,” stated Paul Scelfo, Regional Director of Second Harvest Meals Financial institution. “This will create critical well being implications.”
The group says Louisiana ranks because the second worst state for senior starvation within the nation.
All through April, the Meals Financial institution will gather donations of non-perishable meals objects to assist the vitamin wants of seniors who’re at elevated danger for persistent well being circumstances corresponding to diabetes and coronary heart illness.
Objects which can be excessive in protein and low in sodium/salt and sugar are wanted in addition to simple to organize meals/meals corresponding to:
- Pop-top cans of meat (tuna and hen)
- Canned soups, stews, chili
- Dried beans, lentils, or peas
- Powdered or shelf-stable milk
- Tomato sauce/spaghetti sauce
An entire checklist of most wanted meals donations will be discovered at: no-hunger.org/suggested-food-donations.
Meals donations will probably be accepted at Second Harvest Meals Financial institution, 215 East Pinhook Street in Lafayette, Monday via Friday from 7:30 a.m. till 4:00 p.m.
As well as, non-perishable meals donations will also be dropped off at:
Avanti Senior Dwelling
5522 Ambassador Caffery Pkwy, Lafayette, La
215 Anna Road, Scott, La
Belle Rose Gardens
211 Arceneaux Street, Carencro, La
Second Harvest Meals Financial institution says they work year-round to offer seniors entry to nutritious meals via their Senior Connection program. This system, they are saying, prepares and distributes freshly made meals every day to senior facilities all through Acadiana and Southwest Louisiana. The Meals Financial institution additionally works to shut the starvation hole by connecting eligible seniors to meals pantries close to them and/or to Supplemental Diet Help Program (SNAP) advantages.
“All of us have a task to play to make sure that older adults have entry to the meals they want,” added Scelfo. “Senior Starvation Consciousness Month is a name to motion. Every of us can verify on an aged neighbor, dad or mum or grandparent to evaluate if they’re getting the correct vitamin they should keep wholesome.”
Second Harvest says people can assist seniors who’re meals insecure by doing the next:
- Put together and ship a wholesome meal to a senior in want.
- Donate nutritious meals objects that seniors have to Second Harvest Financial institution or a neighborhood meals pantry – objects which can be excessive in protein and low in sodium and sugar.
- Volunteer to type and pack meals bins.
- Undertake a senior. Decide up and ship meals to a senior who’s house certain or present transportation to a close-by grocery or meals pantry.
- Assist a senior hook up with ongoing meals help – a neighborhood meals pantry, SNAP advantages, or group packages like Meals on Wheels, Meals For Seniors.
- Donate to Second Harvest Meals Financial institution. For each greenback you donate, Second Harvest can present 4 meals to a senior who’s hungry.
To study extra in regards to the State of Senior Starvation, go to www.feedingamerica.org/research/senior-hunger-research/senior.
To study extra about volunteering or donating meals or funds to Second Harvest Meals Financial institution, go to www.no-hunger.org.
Keep in contact with us anytime, wherever.
To achieve the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click on HERE.
Join newsletters emailed to your inbox. Choose from these choices: Breaking Information, Night Information Headlines, Newest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning Information Headlines, Particular Gives