Congying Liu,1 Junhong Pan,1 Track Wen,1 Thiquynhnga Nguyen,1 Dongxiang Xu,1 Chaoxun Wang,1 Xinlu Yuan,1 Zhongqiu Wen,2 Ligang Zhou1,3
1Division of Endocrinology, Shanghai Pudong Hospital, Fudan College, Shanghai, 201399, Folks’s Republic of China; 2Division of Info Heart, Shanghai Pudong Hospital, Fudan College, Shanghai, 201399, Folks’s Republic of China; 3Shanghai Key Laboratory of Vascular Lesions Regulation and Transforming, Shanghai Pudong Hospital, Fudan College, Shanghai, 201399, Folks’s Republic of China
Correspondence: Ligang Zhou
Division of Endocrinology, Shanghai Pudong Hospital, Fudan College, 2800 Gongwei Highway, Huinan City, Pudong New Space, Shanghai, 201399, Folks’s Republic of China
Electronic mail [email protected]
Goal: We aimed to guage the connection between thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) and bone mineral density (BMD) in euthyroid kind 2 diabetes (T2D).
Strategies: This retrospective evaluation enrolled 439 T2D sufferers with regular thyroid operate, together with 226 males and 213 females. All the feminine sufferers have been postmenopausal. Serum glycosylated hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c), TSH, free triiodothyronine (FT3), and free thyroxine (FT4) concentrations have been analyzed. BMD of the lumbar backbone (L1–L4), femoral neck, and hip joint was decided utilizing dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry.
Outcomes: The sufferers have been grouped primarily based on tri-sectional quantiles of the TSH ranges: 0.55∼ 1.70mIU/L (Group 1), 1.71∼ 2.58mIU/L (Group 2), and a pair of.59∼ 4.74mIU/L (Group 3). Our information confirmed that, in male sufferers, no distinction in BMD was recognized amongst teams. In postmenopausal girls, in contrast to on the lumbar backbone (P = 0.459), the imply BMD on the femoral neck (P = 0.014) and hip joint (P = 0.014) had a statistical distinction amongst teams and elevated with TSH degree. As well as, our evaluation demonstrated that TSH ranges proven no correlation with BMD in any respect websites in males. Nevertheless, in females, BMD on the femoral neck (r = 0.156, P = 0.023) and hip joint (r = 0.172, P = 0.012) had a optimistic correlation with TSH ranges. After adjusting for age and BMI, a number of regression evaluation confirmed that TSH ranges influenced BMD on the femoral neck (β = 0.188, P = 0.001) and hip joint (β = 0.204, P = 0.001) in feminine sufferers.
Conclusion: In abstract, our information demonstrates that low TSH ranges are related to decreased BMD on the femoral neck and hip joint in postmenopausal T2D girls with euthyroidism.
Key phrases: kind 2 diabetes, thyroid-stimulating hormone, bone mineral density, menopause
Sort 2 diabetes (T2D) is characterised by relative insulin deficiency attributable to pancreatic β-cell dysfunction and insulin resistance, and accounts for greater than 90% of all of the diabetic topics. Sustained hyperglycemia enhances the probabilities of growing of persistent problems in sufferers with T2D.1 Certainly, research have indicated that osteoporosis is a major complication of T2D along with the opposite well-established problems.2,3 Osteoporosis is a metabolic bone illness characterised by decreased bone mass and destruction of bone microstructure, resulting in bone fragility and elevated threat of fracture.4 Persistent problems of diabetes can induce microvascular harm, leading to systemic microcirculation issues, accelerating formation of microthrombosis and irregular blood provide to the bones, thus affecting bone metabolism.5 T2D can also trigger bone mass destruction and microstructural modifications by quite a lot of different advanced components.6
Then again, thyroid operate is intently associated with bone well being and an irregular thyroid operate considerably impacts bone well being.7–9 Hyperthyroidism accelerates bone turnover and will increase the frequency of bone transforming. Excessive bone turnover accelerates bone loss and will increase susceptibility to osteoporosis and fracture.10 Moreover, subclinical hyperthyroidism is related to lowered bone mineral density (BMD) and elevated threat of fractures.11–13 Nevertheless, the influence of hypothyroidism and subclinical hypothyroidism on bone well being stays unclear.7–9,11 Regardless of slight controversy, latest researches present that thyroid operate can have an effect on BMD, even whether it is throughout the regular reference vary. Some research have indicated that, throughout the regular vary, low thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) or excessive thyroid hormone ranges contribute to decreased BMD and elevated threat of fractures,14–21 whereas others have did not outline such a relationship.22–24
Sufferers with T2D are at a excessive threat for osteoporosis. Nevertheless, whether or not thyroid standing influences bone well being in sufferers with T2D as noticed within the basic inhabitants stays unclear. Right here, we interrogated the impact of regular thyroid operate on BMD in males and postmenopausal girls with T2D sufferers. This examine presents a brand new strategy for the scientific prevention of osteoporosis in sufferers with T2D utilizing the thyroid operate profile.
Supplies and Strategies
A complete of 439 T2D sufferers, together with 226 males and 213 females, hospitalized on the Division of Endocrinology of Shanghai Pudong Hospital from Could 1, 2019, to July 31, 2020, have been enrolled on this examine. All of the included girls have been postmenopausal. TSH, free triiodothyronine (FT3), and free thyroxine (FT4) values of the individuals have been throughout the reference vary. Sufferers with secondary osteoporosis, corresponding to thyroid or parathyroid ailments, medicine induced, or tumors, in addition to these with bone metabolic ailments, anti-osteoporosis remedies or medicine use historical past affecting bone metabolism throughout the previous 6 months have been excluded from the examine. As well as, sufferers with acute liver, kidney, coronary heart or mind ailments, psychological ailments have been excluded.
We recorded top and weight after which computed physique mass index (BMI). Fasting veinal blood samples have been obtained and analyzed inside 2 hours. Glycosylated hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) was measured and we examined serum TSH, FT3, and FT4 utilizing immunoluminometric assay. The reference vary for the TSH was 0.55mIU/L~4.78mIU/L. BMD on the lumbar backbone (L1–L4), femur neck, in addition to hip joint was evaluated by dual-energy X‐ray absorptiometry (DXA).
Statistical analyses have been carried out utilizing SPSS 22.0 model and GraphPad Prism v.8. Kolmogorov–Smirnov check was used to guage the conventional distribution of the information. The conventional distribution information was described by . In addition, the Student’s t-test was used to compare the two groups while one-way was used to assess variances among the three groups. We then performed post hoc comparison using , while Pearson correlation analysis was used to analyze the correlation among variables. On the other hand, non-normal distribution data was represented by . Mann–Whitney U-test was used to compare between two groups, while Kruskal–Wallis H-test was used for comparison among three groups. Spearman correlation analysis was used to evaluate the correlation among variables. In addition, multivariate regression analysis was performed to explore the relationship between the TSH and BMD after adjusting for age and BMI. A P value<0.05 was considered statistically significant.
Clinical Baseline Characteristics
The baseline characteristics for the T2D patients with normal thyroid function were shown in Table 1. In contrast with males, feminine sufferers have been older, had an extended diabetic length, and their BMD was dramatically lowered on the lumbar backbone, femoral neck, and hip joint.
Desk 1 Baseline Traits of the Research Contributors
BMD in Completely different TSH Focus Teams
The sufferers have been grouped primarily based on tri-sectional quantiles of the TSH ranges: 0.55~1.70mIU/L (Group 1), 1.71~2.58mIU/L (Group 2), and a pair of.59~4.74mIU/L (Group 3). Our information confirmed that, in male sufferers, there was no distinction in age, BMI, length of diabetes, HbA1c in addition to BMD (Table 2). Then again, whereas there have been no statistically variations in age, BMI, length of diabetes, and HbA1c, the feminine sufferers confirmed variations in BMD (femoral neck: P = 0.014, hip joint: P = 0.014), and elevated with TSH degree (Table 3). As well as, there was a major decline within the BMD on the femoral neck (P = 0.004) and hip joint (P = 0.004) in females in Group 1 in comparison with Group 3 (Figure 1).
Desk 2 BMD in Completely different TSH Focus Teams (Male)
Desk 3 BMD in Completely different TSH Focus Teams (Feminine)
Correlation Between BMD and TSH Focus
For the correlation evaluation, BMD was used as a dependent variable, whereas age, BMI, diabetic length, HbA1c, and TSH have been used as unbiased variables. The outcomes confirmed that, in males, BMD on the lumbar backbone was positively correlated with age and BMI. Moreover, BMD on the femoral neck and hip joint was negatively related to age however positively associated to BMI. BMD in any respect websites had no relationship with TSH (Table 4). In postmenopausal girls, BMD on the lumbar backbone had a optimistic relationship with BMI however negatively correlated with age. As well as, BMD on the femoral neck and hip joint exhibited a optimistic affiliation with BMI and TSH, however a unfavourable relationship with age and diabetic length (Table 5).
Desk 4 Correlation Between BMD at Completely different Websites and TSH Focus (Male)
Desk 5 Correlation Between BMD at Completely different Websites and TSH Focus (Feminine)
Elements Influencing BMD on the Femoral Neck and Hip Joint in Postmenopausal T2D Girls
For stepwise regression evaluation, BMD on the femoral neck and hip joint have been thought of to be dependent variables, whereas age, BMI, diabetic length, HbA1c, and TSH have been unbiased variables. On the femoral neck, age, BMI and TSH influenced BMD (the adjusted R2 =0.288, F =29.599, P<0.001), with age making the strongest contribution (β = –0.468, P<0.001), adopted by BMI (β = 0.192, P = 0.001), and TSH (β = 0.188, P = 0.001) (Table 6). Then again, on the hip joint, the information confirmed that age, BMI, and TSH have been the influencing components of hip joint (the adjusted R2 =0.257, F = 25.381, P <0.001), and age had the best affect (β = –0.345, P < 0.001), adopted by BMI (β = 0.310, P < 0.001), and TSH (β = 0.204, P = 0.001) (Table 7).
Desk 6 A number of Regression Evaluation of the Elements Influencing BMD on the Femoral Neck in Postmenopausal Feminine T2D Sufferers
Desk 7 A number of Regression Evaluation of the Elements Influencing BMD on the Hip Joint in Postmenopausal Feminine T2D Sufferers
This examine included T2D sufferers with regular thyroid operate. Our correlation evaluation demonstrated that age and BMI have been strongly correlated with BMD in any respect websites. We confirmed that solely the BMD on the lumbar backbone was positively associated with age in males, whereas the others have been negatively correlated. In settlement with earlier research, our information confirmed that BMD in any respect websites had a optimistic correlation with BMI.25,26 We might, nonetheless, not display and correlation between TSH and BMD in any respect websites in male sufferers.27 Then again, in postmenopausal girls, excessive ranges of TSH throughout the regular vary have been related to excessive BMD on the femoral neck and hip joint, however not with BMD on the lumbar backbone. A number of regression evaluation confirmed that the optimistic correlation between TSH ranges and BMD for the 2 websites didn’t change after adjustment for age and BMI. That is in keeping with the leads to many earlier research involving wholesome topics with out T2D.16,20,21
Serum thyroid hormone and TSH are the essential indicators of thyroid operate. Since TSH is extra delicate to modifications within the thyroid standing, it’s thought of the mainstay indicator to tell apart between regular and irregular thyroid operate. Moreover, it has been demonstrated that hyperthyroidism and subclinical hyperthyroidism are related to decreased BMD and elevated fracture threat. On this examine, low ranges TSH throughout the regular vary have been related to decreased BMD within the femoral neck and hip joint in postmenopausal girls with T2D. We hypothesized that gentle subclinical hyperthyroidism may also be current in sufferers with TSH on the low ranges of the conventional vary. The TSH reference vary solely contains 95% of the reference inhabitants, and the decrease restrict of the reference is comparatively regular. Furthermore, endocrine and metabolic issues in T2D sufferers may also affect the reference vary of TSH.28,29 Subsequently, TSH ranges on the low regular vary can also have an effect on the BMD.
It has been thought that bone abnormalities attributable to hyperthyroidism are resulting from thyroid hormones reasonably than TSH. Latest exploration has proven that TSH could play a direct function in bone safety. In 1998, Inoue et al first reported that TSH receptor may very well be expressed in osteoblast-like rat osteosarcoma cells.30 Subsequently, research in TSH receptor knockout mice demonstrated that osteoblasts and osteoclasts expressed TSH receptor, and TSH receptor-deficient mice was extra liable to develop excessive bone turnover osteoporosis.31 Hase et al confirmed that TSH might inhibit the manufacturing of TNF-α and thus adversely regulate osteoclast differentiation.32 As well as, Solar et al confirmed that an injection of recombinant TSH had a powerful anti-bone resorption impact on bones in rats.33 Moreover, bone phenotypes have been in contrast between wild-type and TSH receptor knockout mice and confirmed that each thyroid hormone and TSH can have an effect on the bone.34
As well as, gender has been intently related to BMD. On this examine, in contrast with males, BMD decreased considerably in any respect websites in postmenopausal feminine sufferers, suggesting that gender influences bone metabolism. Knowledge has proven that postmenopausal females have greater bone turnover. It has been established that postmenopausal osteoporosis happens primarily of the decreased estrogen degree, which reduces the inhibitory impact of estrogen on osteoclasts, and will increase the variety of osteoclasts, reduces apoptosis, and prolongs life span, in addition to enhances bone resorption operate. Though there was a rise in osteoblasts that contributed to bone formation, it was not enough to compensate for extreme bone resorption. The energetic and unbalanced bone transforming leads to thinness or fracture of trabecular bones, elevated cortical bone porosity, and lowered bone energy.35 Our examine confirmed that low regular TSH ranges might result in decreased BMD on the femoral neck and hip joint in girls, however not in males. Siru et al confirmed that TSH throughout the euthyroid vary had no correlation with fracture threat in males in comparison with girls.27 As well as, the danger of fracture of thyroxine substitute remedy was additionally depending on intercourse.36 These research could point out that postmenopausal girls are extra inclined to thyroid standing than males.
In postmenopausal feminine sufferers, low regular ranges of TSH could result in decreased BMD on the femoral neck and hip joint however not on the lumbar backbone. Equally, Van der Deure and Murphy et al confirmed that low regular TSH ranges or excessive thyroid hormone ranges have been solely related to BMD on the femoral neck, however not on the lumbar backbone.16,19 This would possibly outline the selectivity of the thyroid motion to the lumbar backbone and the femur. Thyroid hormones have an effect on the cortex greater than trabeculae, inspecting areas wealthy in cortical bone, such because the forearm and femoral neck, could have a higher influence than measuring solely areas containing trabeculae.37 In a collection of animal experiments, Suwanwalaikorn et al reported that TSH inhibitor L-thyroxine lowered BMD within the femur of rats, however not within the backbone.38–40 And gene expression markers in osteoblasts and osteoclasts have been considerably elevated in femur, however not within the lumbar backbone. Lengthy-term overdose of L-thyroxine in grownup rats selectively affected the femoral bone over the vertebrae.39 Subsequently, we hypothesized that TSH could exert differential results on the lumbar backbone, femoral neck, and hip joint as a result of specificity of the bone web site. As well as, this is also resulting from extrapyramidal calcification, particularly osteophytes.41–43 Orwoll et al demonstrated that topics with osteophytes had greater spinal BMD, however not on the femoral web site.42 And osteophytes have a higher affect in males.44 The outcomes can also clarify the optimistic correlation between lumbar backbone BMD and age in males. Additional vertebral calcification interferes with the measurement of lumbar BMD. Moreover, this measurement error may also intrude with the commentary of the impact of TSH on lumbar backbone BMD.
This examine was performed retrospectively and picked up information from a single heart. We didn’t absolutely think about different components corresponding to food plan, life-style and labor depth. The affect of intercourse hormones and menopausal years in postmenopausal girls was not analyzed. Nevertheless, our examine supplemented the impact of regular thyroid operate on bone well being in sufferers with T2D, and individually investigated the results in males and postmenopausal girls. There’s want for additional exploration involving giant potential cohort research.
In abstract, our information demonstrates that low TSH ranges are related to decreased BMD on the femoral neck and hip joint in postmenopausal T2D girls with euthyroidism. Nevertheless, we couldn’t discover any affiliation between serum TSH and BMD in T2D males inside euthyroid vary.
This examine was authorized by Shanghai Pudong Hospital affiliated with Fudan College (Shanghai, China), and adopted the rules outlined within the Declaration of Helsinki. Knowledgeable written consent was obtained from the sufferers for the evaluation of the medical information and publication of this examine.
This work was supported by the Challenge of Key Medical Self-discipline of Pudong Hospital of Fudan College (Zdxk2020-11), the Challenge of Key Medical Specialty and Remedy Heart of Pudong Hospital of Fudan College (Zdzk2020-24), and Nationwide Pure Science Basis of China (81370932), Excellent Leaders Coaching Program of Pudong Well being Bureau of Shanghai (PWR12014-06), the Excellent Scientific Self-discipline Challenge of Shanghai Pudong (PWYgy-2018-08), the Pure Science Basis of China (21675034), Shanghai Pure Science Basis (19ZR1447500).
The authors declare that there isn’t a battle of curiosity.
1. Vijan S. Sort 2 diabetes. Ann Intern Med. 2019;171(9):Itc65–itc80. doi:10.7326/AITC201911050
2. Janghorbani M, Van Dam RM, Willett WC, et al. Systematic evaluation of kind 1 and kind 2 diabetes mellitus and threat of fracture. Am J Epidemiol. 2007;166(5):495–505. doi:10.1093/aje/kwm106
3. Vestergaard P. Discrepancies in bone mineral density and fracture threat in sufferers with kind 1 and kind 2 diabetes–a meta-analysis. Osteoporos Int. 2007;18(4):427–444. doi:10.1007/s00198-006-0253-4
4. Ensrud KE, Crandall CJ. Osteoporosis. Ann Intern Med. 2017;167(3):Itc17–itc32. doi:10.7326/AITC201708010
5. Shanbhogue VV, Hansen S, Frost M, et al. Bone illness in diabetes: one other manifestation of microvascular illness? Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2017;5(10):827–838. doi:10.1016/S2213-8587(17)30134-1
6. Napoli N, Chandran M, Pierroz DD, et al. Mechanisms of diabetes mellitus-induced bone fragility. Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2017;13(4):208–219. doi:10.1038/nrendo.2016.153
7. Delitala AP, Scuteri A, Doria C. Thyroid hormone ailments and osteoporosis. J Clin Med. 2020;9(4):1034. doi:10.3390/jcm9041034
8. Williams GR, Bassett JHD. Thyroid ailments and bone well being. J Endocrinol Make investments. 2018;41(1):99–109. doi:10.1007/s40618-017-0753-4
9. Bassett JH, Williams GR. Function of thyroid hormones in skeletal improvement and bone upkeep. Endocr Rev. 2016;37(2):135–187.
10. Nicholls JJ, Brassill MJ, Williams GR, et al. The skeletal penalties of thyrotoxicosis. J Endocrinol. 2012;213(3):209–221. doi:10.1530/JOE-12-0059
11. Blum MR, Bauer DC, Collet T-H, et al. Subclinical thyroid dysfunction and fracture threat: a meta-analysis. JAMA. 2015;313(20):2055–2065. doi:10.1001/jama.2015.5161
12. Murphy E, Williams GR. The thyroid and the skeleton. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2004;61(3):285–298. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2265.2004.02053.x
13. Wirth CD, Blum MR, da Costa BR, et al. Subclinical thyroid dysfunction and the danger for fractures: a scientific evaluation and meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med. 2014;161(3):189–199. doi:10.7326/M14-0125
14. van Rijn LE, Pop VJ, Williams GR. Low bone mineral density is expounded to excessive physiological ranges of free thyroxine in peri-menopausal girls. Eur J Endocrinol. 2014;170(3):461–468. doi:10.1530/EJE-13-0769
15. Roef G, Lapauw B, Goemaere S, et al. Thyroid hormone standing throughout the physiological vary impacts bone mass and density in wholesome males on the age of peak bone mass. Eur J Endocrinol. 2011;164(6):1027–1034. doi:10.1530/EJE-10-1113
16. van der Deure WM, Uitterlinden AG, Hofman A, et al. Results of serum TSH and FT4 ranges and the TSHR-Asp727Glu polymorphism on bone: the Rotterdam Research. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2008;68(2):175–181. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2265.2007.03016.x
17. Morris MS. The affiliation between serum thyroid-stimulating hormone in its reference vary and bone standing in postmenopausal American girls. Bone. 2007;40(4):1128–1134. doi:10.1016/j.bone.2006.12.001
18. Mazziotti G, Porcelli T, Patelli I, et al. Serum TSH values and threat of vertebral fractures in euthyroid post-menopausal girls with low bone mineral density. Bone. 2010;46(3):747–751. doi:10.1016/j.bone.2009.10.031
19. Murphy E, Gluer CC, Reid DM, et al. Thyroid operate throughout the higher regular vary is related to lowered bone mineral density and an elevated threat of nonvertebral fractures in wholesome euthyroid postmenopausal girls. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010;95(7):3173–3181. doi:10.1210/jc.2009-2630
20. Kim DJ, Khang YH, Koh J-M, et al. Low regular TSH ranges are related to low bone mineral density in wholesome postmenopausal girls. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2006;64(1):86–90. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2265.2005.02422.x
21. Noh HM, Park YS, Lee J, et al. A cross-sectional examine to look at the correlation between serum TSH ranges and the osteoporosis of the lumbar backbone in wholesome girls with regular thyroid operate. Osteoporos Int. 2015;26(3):997–1003. doi:10.1007/s00198-014-2906-z
22. Lin JD, Pei D, Hsia T-L, et al. The connection between thyroid operate and bone mineral density in euthyroid wholesome topics in Taiwan. Endocr Res. 2011;36(1):1–8. doi:10.3109/07435800.2010.514877
23. Svare A, Nilsen TIL, Åsvold BO, et al. Does thyroid operate affect fracture threat? Potential information from the HUNT2 examine, Norway. Eur J Endocrinol. 2013;169(6):845–852. doi:10.1530/EJE-13-0546
24. Grimnes G, Emaus N, Joakimsen RM, et al. The connection between serum TSH and bone mineral density in males and postmenopausal girls: the Tromsø examine. Thyroid. 2008;18(11):1147–1155. doi:10.1089/thy.2008.0158
25. Pluijm SM, Visser M, Smit JH, et al. Determinants of bone mineral density in older women and men: physique composition as mediator. J Bone Miner Res. 2001;16(11):2142–2151. doi:10.1359/jbmr.2001.16.11.2142
26. Taaffe DR, Cauley JA, Danielson M, et al. Race and intercourse results on the affiliation between muscle energy, comfortable tissue, and bone mineral density in wholesome elders: the well being, getting old, and physique composition examine. J Bone Miner Res. 2001;16(7):1343–1352. doi:10.1359/jbmr.2001.16.7.1343
27. Siru R, Alfonso H, Chubb SAP, et al. Subclinical thyroid dysfunction and circulating thyroid hormones should not related to bone turnover markers or incident hip fracture in older males. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2018;89(1):93–99. doi:10.1111/cen.13615
28. Karar T, Alhammad RI, Fattah M, et al. Relation between glycosylated hemoglobin and lipid and thyroid hormone amongst sufferers with kind 2 diabetes mellitus at King Abdulaziz Medical Metropolis, Riyadh. J Nat Sci Biol Med. 2015;6(Suppl 1):S75–9. doi:10.4103/0976-9668.166091
29. Moura Neto A, Parisi MCR, Alegre SM, et al. Relation of thyroid hormone abnormalities with subclinical inflammatory exercise in sufferers with kind 1 and kind 2 diabetes mellitus. Endocrine. 2016;51(1):63–71. doi:10.1007/s12020-015-0651-5
30. Inoue M, Tawata M, Yokomori N, et al. Expression of thyrotropin receptor on clonal osteoblast-like rat osteosarcoma cells. Thyroid. 1998;8(11):1059–1064. doi:10.1089/thy.1998.8.1059
31. Abe E, Marians RC, Yu W, et al. TSH is a unfavourable regulator of skeletal transforming. Cell. 2003;115(2):151–162. doi:10.1016/S0092-8674(03)00771-2
32. Hase H, Ando T, Eldeiry L, et al. TNFalpha mediates the skeletal results of thyroid-stimulating hormone. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103(34):12849–12854. doi:10.1073/pnas.0600427103
33. Solar L, Vukicevic S, Baliram R, et al. Intermittent recombinant TSH injections forestall ovariectomy-induced bone loss. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105(11):4289–4294. doi:10.1073/pnas.0712395105
34. Baliram R, Solar L, Cao J, et al. Hyperthyroid-associated osteoporosis is exacerbated by the lack of TSH signaling. J Clin Make investments. 2012;122(10):3737–3741. doi:10.1172/JCI63948
35. Raisz LG. Pathogenesis of osteoporosis: ideas, conflicts, and prospects. J Clin Make investments. 2005;115(12):3318–3325. doi:10.1172/JCI27071
36. Turner MR, Camacho X, Fischer HD, et al. Levothyroxine dose and threat of fractures in older adults: nested case-control examine. BMJ. 2011;342:d2238. doi:10.1136/bmj.d2238
37. Greenspan SL, Greenspan FS. The impact of thyroid hormone on skeletal integrity. Ann Intern Med. 1999;130(9):750–758. doi:10.7326/0003-4819-130-9-199905040-00016
38. Ongphiphadhanakul B, Alex S, Braverman LE, et al. Extreme L-thyroxine remedy decreases femoral bone mineral densities within the male rat: impact of hypogonadism and calcitonin. J Bone Miner Res. 1992;7(10):1227–1231. doi:10.1002/jbmr.5650071015
39. Suwanwalaikorn S, Ongphiphadhanakul B, Braverman LE, et al. Differential responses of femoral and vertebral bones to long-term extreme L-thyroxine administration in grownup rats. Eur J Endocrinol. 1996;134(5):655–659. doi:10.1530/eje.0.1340655
40. Suwanwalaikorn S, Van Auken M, Kang MI, et al. Website selectivity of osteoblast gene expression response to thyroid hormone localized by in situ hybridization. Am J Physiol. 1997;272(2 Pt 1):E212–7. doi:10.1152/ajpendo.1997.272.2.E212
41. Ross PD, Wasnich RD, Vogel JM. Detection of prefracture spinal osteoporosis utilizing bone mineral absorptiometry. J Bone Miner Res. 1988;3(1):1–11. doi:10.1002/jbmr.5650030103
42. Orwoll ES, Oviatt SK, Mann T. The influence of osteophytic and vascular calcifications on vertebral mineral density measurements in males. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1990;70(4):1202–1207. doi:10.1210/jcem-70-4-1202
43. Drinka PJ, DeSmet AA, Bauwens SF, et al. The impact of overlying calcification on lumbar bone densitometry. Calcif Tissue Int. 1992;50(6):507–510. doi:10.1007/BF00582163
44. Resnick D. Degeneration illness of the backbone. Diagn Bone Joint Disord. 1981;1374–1380.