Persistent obstructive pulmonary illness (COPD) is a persistent inflammatory airway illness that causes incompletely reversible airflow limitation associated with cough, sputum, and progressive dyspnea. A number of research have reported that a rise in muscle fats infiltration was noticed in COPD sufferers associated with systemic irritation, metabolic illnesses, and comorbidities.1–5 Nonetheless, these research merely evaluated the muscular fats infiltration primarily based on the muscle attenuation worth decided utilizing computed tomography (CT); they didn’t absolutely regulate for the metabolic components and comorbidities that influenced the physique composition of the topics.6
Physique fats and muscle composition may be assessed utilizing CT scans, which visualize fats and muscle areas primarily based on attenuation values. A number of research reported that CT-based muscle mass and adipose tissue measurements have been dependable for the quantitative evaluation of physique composition.7–9 Skeletal muscle areas may be divided into low attenuation muscle space (LAMA) and regular attenuation muscle space (NAMA) primarily based on muscle attenuation values from the CT scans.10 LAMA is expounded with extra intramuscular fats infiltration, and conversely NAMA is expounded with much less intramuscular fats infiltration.11 Intermuscular adipose tissue (IMAT) is the fats beneath muscle fascia and between muscle teams; it displays intermuscular fats infiltration.12 We are able to consider the intramuscular and intermuscular fatty infiltration by means of the quantitative evaluation of LAMA, NAMA, and IMAT. On this research, we aimed to judge the intramuscular and intermuscular fatty infiltration in COPD topics utilizing the LAMA, NAMA, and IMAT after adjustment for the assorted confounding components, together with metabolic elements and underlying illnesses.
Sufferers and Strategies
Examine Design and Topics
The current research was a cross-sectional research primarily based on information collected from the well being examination outcomes of topics who underwent self-referred abdominopelvic computed tomography (APCT) analysis as a part of a common well being examination on the Well being Promotion Heart in Ulsan College Hospital, Ulsan, Korea, between March 2014 and June 2019. Amongst these with a number of well being checkups, the primary well being examination was thought-about to be the index well being examination and was used for information assortment. We excluded people below 45 years of age and those that had lacking information for his or her baseline traits.13,14 COPD topics have been recognized primarily based on smoking historical past (≥10 pack-years) and the ratio of the pressured expiratory quantity within the first 1 second (FEV1) to the pressured very important capability (FVC) (FEV1/FVC; < 0.7) standards.15,16 The remainder of the research inhabitants was outlined as controls (Figure 1). Moreover, topics within the COPD group have been additional categorized into subgroups primarily based on their FEV1 worth (delicate stage: FEV1 ≥ 80%; reasonable stage: 50% ≤ FEV1 < 80%; extreme stage: 30% ≤ FEV1 < 50%). The baseline traits and belly compositions for these completely different subgroups have been evaluated. This research was authorised by the Institutional Evaluation Board of Ulsan College Hospital (No. 2020–08-013), which waived the requirement for knowledgeable consent requirement because of the anonymization of information and cross-sectional design of the research.
Medical and Laboratory Measurements
The medical and laboratory info have been collected from the medical information warehouse platform at the side of the digital medical data on the Ulsan College Hospital. The medical info was obtained from a systemized self-report questionnaire (age, intercourse, smoking standing, alcohol consumption, train grade, and underlying comorbidities together with heart problems, hypertension, diabetes, and hyperlipidemia) issued earlier than the well being examination. Smoking standing was categorized as non-, ex-, or present smoking; alcohol consumption grade was decided based on the self-reported ingesting (irrelevant to dose) frequency per week (none, 1–2 drinks/week, and ≥ 3 drinks/week); and train grade was decided based on the self-reported reasonable to high-intensity train frequency per week (none, 1–2 periods/week, and ≥ 3 periods/week). Peak and weight have been measured in gentle clothes, with out sneakers, on a digital scale. Physique mass index (BMI) was calculated as the topic’s weight in kilograms divided by the squared peak in meters. Blood strain was measured on the proper higher arm within the sitting place after resting for longer than 5 minutes utilizing an automated manometer. A venous blood pattern was taken from every topic’s antecubital vein within the early morning after in a single day fasting after which analyzed within the central and authorized laboratory of the Ulsan College Hospital. Laboratory info included whole ldl cholesterol, triglyceride, high-density lipoprotein ldl cholesterol (HDL-C), low-density lipoprotein ldl cholesterol (LDL-C), fasting plasma glucose, and glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA1c).
Pulmonary Perform Assessments
Spirometric testing was performed by skilled pulmonary technicians utilizing Vmax 2130 (Sensormedics, Yorba Linda, CA, USA) and Vmax Encore 20 (CareFusion Respiratory Care Inc., Yorba Linda, CA, USA) spirometers primarily based on the suggestions of the American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society for standardization of spirometry.17 The collected spirometry parameters have been FVC, FEV1, and FEV1/FVC. Predicted spirometry values (%) have been calculated utilizing a formulation primarily based on the pulmonary perform check parameter scores of Korean consultant samples with the identical age, weight, and peak.18
APCT Scan Method
All research topics acquired an abdominopelvic examination utilizing the SOMATOM Definition FLASH CT scanner (Siemens Healthcare, Erlangen, Germany). The CT scanner had a single supply helical scan, 128×0.6mm beam collimation, 0.6 pitch, and 100 kVp tube voltage dose modulation (CARE Dose4D, Siemens Medical Options, Erlangen, Germany). The gantry rotation time was 0.5 second, and the reconstructed slice thickness and increment have been all 3mm. Enhanced CT pictures have been acquired 80 second after intravenous injection of the distinction agent (Xenetix 350, Guerbet, Roissy, France) and the expiration of the breath-hold state.
CT-Based mostly Physique Composition Evaluation
We analyzed the belly fats and muscle compositions introduced by APCT utilizing the Asan-J software program, which was made on the premise of ImageJ (NIH, Bethesda, MD, USA).19,20 Asan-J software program reveals excessive efficiency and accuracy within the evaluation of belly muscle and fats on CT pictures.21 In every topic, the typical worth of two consecutive axial CT pictures on the third lumbar vertebra degree was analyzed for space and attenuation of all fats (subcutaneous, visceral and intermuscular) and muscle groups (psoas, quadratus lumborum, latissimus dorsi, erector spinae, exterior belly indirect, inside belly indirect, transversus abdominis, and rectus abdominis). We recognized and quantified the LAMA, and NAMA primarily based on threshold of −29 to +29, and +30 to +150 Hounsfield models (HU).10,22 We additionally outlined and measured the subcutaneous fats space (SFA), visceral fats space (VFA), and IMAT all primarily based on the edge of −190 to −30 HU21,23 (Figure S1). We adjusted the cross-sectional areas of fats and muscle to BMI (cm2/[kg/m2]) primarily based on Basis for the Nationwide Institutes of Well being Sarcopenia Mission suggestion, and described as SFA index (SFA [cm2]/BMI [kg/m2]), VFA index (VFA [cm2]/BMI [kg/m2]), IMAT index (IMAT [cm2]/BMI [kg/m2]), LAMA index (LAMA [cm2]/BMI [kg/m2]), and NAMA index (NAMA [cm2]/BMI [kg/m2]).24
Steady variables are reported as means ± commonplace deviation, and in contrast utilizing the Scholar’s t-test for unmatched topics and paired t-test for matched topics. Categorical variables are reported as numbers (percentages) and in contrast utilizing a chi-square check for unmatched topics and the McNemar check (or marginal homogeneity check) for matched topics.
To scale back the bias and potential confounding amongst topics within the two research teams, we carried out cautious adjustment for various distributions of baseline traits utilizing a 1:1 propensity rating matching evaluation with the closest neighbor technique primarily based on a grasping matching algorithm that kinds primarily based on the estimated propensity rating (Figure 1). By configuring a caliper of 0.05 on the gap of the estimated propensity scores between the 2 pairs, we excluded the topics who weren’t related to propensity rating in additional analyses. Propensity rating matching was executed with a logistic regression and with out a substitute algorithm till all attainable matches had been constructed.
We matched the next variables for age, intercourse, peak, weight, underlying comorbidities (cardiovascular illnesses, hypertension, diabetes, and hyperlipidemia), life-style (alcohol consumption and train grade), and metabolic components (systolic blood strain, diastolic blood strain, whole ldl cholesterol, triglyceride, HDL-C, LDL-C, fasting plasma glucose, and HbA1c). We additionally evaluated the adequacy of the matched mannequin utilizing a Hansen & Bowers check (χ2 = 6.780, df = 20, P worth = 0.997), and by investigating the diagnostic plots earlier than and after propensity rating matching comparable to receiver working attribute curves (c-statistics = 0.842, Figure S2), histograms of the propensity rating (Figure S3), histograms of the standardized imply variations (Figure S4), and dot plots of the standardized imply variations (Figure S5).
We evaluated the belly fats and muscle composition between the management and COPD teams utilizing easy and a number of linear regression analyses. All baseline traits (besides the smoking historical past and pulmonary perform check outcomes) with P values lower than 0.1 within the easy linear regression evaluation have been included within the a number of linear regression evaluation. Contemplating a logit hyperlink between the 2 propensity rating matched pairs, we evaluated the dangers of medical finish factors by generalized estimating equations utilizing a linear regression mannequin. We additionally evaluated the physique composition variations between the management and COPD subgroups. We excluded the subgroup with extreme COPD because of the small variety of topics. Thereafter, easy and a number of linear regression analyses have been performed to check the belly fats and muscle composition between the delicate and reasonable COPD subgroups to the management group. We investigated the variance inflation issue for all analyses to find out the multicollinearity.
Propensity rating matching evaluation was carried out utilizing the “psmatching” program (model 3.04) at the side of SPSS model 24.25 This system performs all analyses in R (model 3.2.0) by means of the IBM SPSS statistics Necessities for R as described by Thoemmes.26 Statistical evaluation was carried out utilizing the IBM SPSS Statistics for Home windows software program (model 24.0; IBM Company, Armonk, New York, USA), and variations with a P worth < 0.05 have been thought-about statistically important.
Baseline Traits and Belly Physique Composition of Examine Topics
Through the research interval, 6,965 topics met the inclusion standards. Amongst them, 6,705 (96.3%) and 260 (3.7%) people have been categorized into the management and COPD teams, respectively. The baseline traits and belly physique composition outcomes for research topics earlier than propensity rating matching are introduced in Table S1. After propensity rating matching, we chosen 250 pairs of topics with related baseline traits (Table 1), apart from smoking historical past (Table S2) and pulmonary perform check outcomes (Figure S6). Figure 2 exhibits the distribution of the person imply worth for attenuation and the BMI adjusted cross-sectional areas between the management and COPD teams after propensity rating matching. The COPD group had considerably decrease NAMA attenuation (58.6 ± 3.8 vs 57.4 ± 3.7 HU, P < 0.001), and the next IMAT index (0.2 ± 0.2 vs 0.3 ± 0.2 cm2/[kg/m2], P = 0.007) and LAMA index (1.2 ± 0.4 vs 1.3 ± 0.4 cm2/[kg/m2], P = 0.001) in contrast with the management group.
Desk 1 Baseline Traits of the Examine Topics After Propensity Rating Matching
Propensity Rating Adjusted and Matched Outcomes
Upon conducting the a number of linear regression analyses utilizing propensity rating and variables with P values lower than 0.1 from the straightforward linear regression, the COPD group had a considerably elevated IMAT (unstandardized β = 0.040, P < 0.001) and LAMA indexes (unstandardized β = 0.113, P < 0.001) when put next with the management group. Moreover, the COPD group had a decreased NAMA attenuation (unstandardized β = −0.933, P < 0.001) in contrast with the management group. After we carried out generalized estimating equations utilizing the linear regression mannequin for propensity rating matched circumstances, the COPD group additionally had a considerably elevated IMAT (unstandardized β = 0.042, P = 0.006) and LAMA indexes (unstandardized β = 0.120, P < 0.001), and a decreased NAMA attenuation (unstandardized β = −1.168, P < 0.001) in contrast with the management group (Table 2).
Desk 2 Belly Physique Fats and Muscle Composition Evaluation Outcomes for the Persistent Obstructive Pulmonary Illness Group In contrast with the Management Group
COPD Subgroup Evaluation
The baseline traits and belly compositions for topics within the COPD subgroup are introduced in Table S3. Nearly all of COPD topics had delicate (108, 41.5%) to reasonable (145, 55.8%) illness levels. Within the a number of linear regression analyses together with the variables with P values lower than 0.1 from the straightforward linear regression, VFA attenuation for delicate COPD topics was increased than that of management topics (unstandardized β = 1.287, P = 0.041). Moreover, NAMA attenuation of reasonable COPD topics was decrease than that of the management topics (unstandardized β = −1.075, P < 0.001). Within the BMI adjusted cross-sectional areas comparability between the management group and every COPD subgroup, topics with delicate COPD had increased IMAT (unstandardized β = 0.037, P = 0.009) and LAMA (unstandardized β = 0.089, P = 0.002) indexes when in comparison with management topics. Topics with reasonable COPD had increased VFA (unstandardized β = 0.276, P = 0.027), IMAT (unstandardized β = 0.045, P < 0.001), and LAMA (unstandardized β = 0.147, P < 0.001) indexes, they usually had a decrease NAMA index (unstandardized β = −0.133, P = 0.015) in comparison with the management topics (Table 3).
Desk 3 Belly Physique Fats and Muscle Composition Evaluation Outcomes for the Persistent Obstructive Pulmonary Illness Subgroups In contrast with the Management Group
These research findings steered that intramuscular and intermuscular belly fats infiltration may be current in topics with delicate COPD, and it might be exacerbated in topics with reasonable COPD. Though earlier research have assessed the rise of ectopic fats in COPD topics,2,4,5,27,28 the present research targeted on the intramuscular and intermuscular fats infiltration in COPD topics primarily based on LAMA, NAMA, and IMAT ideas decided utilizing CT attenuation values. Moreover, we adjusted for the metabolic components and comorbidities that affect the physique composition of topics.
The LAMA index is a BMI adjusted worth that displays the muscle mass with elevated intramuscular fats infiltration, and the IMAT index is a BMI adjusted worth that displays the lipid quantity in intermuscular areas. Based mostly on the findings from this research, LAMA and IMAT indexes have been elevated in COPD topics after propensity rating matching and after a number of linear regression of the delicate and reasonable COPD subgroups. These findings recommend that intramuscular and intermuscular fats infiltration could possibly be current in delicate COPD topics.
A number of research have reported that muscle attenuation is decreased in COPD topics.4,5 Based mostly on the propensity rating matching and a number of linear regression outcomes from the present research, NAMA attenuation and the NAMA index have been decreased in reasonable COPD topics; nevertheless, the identical traits weren’t discovered for these with delicate COPD. Moreover, the LAMA index was elevated extra in topics with reasonable COPD in comparison with these with delicate COPD. These findings recommend that intramuscular and intermuscular fats infiltration have been extra superior within the topics with reasonable COPD than amongst these with delicate COPD. Intramuscular fats infiltration is strongly related to impaired muscle perform and atrophy.29 NAMA represents the amount of muscle mass with good performance; inversely LAMA represents the amount of muscle mass with poor performance. Earlier research have reported that muscular atrophy and muscle dysfunction are critical issues in COPD sufferers.23,30,31 Based mostly on these findings, we predict that muscle atrophy and impairment of muscle perform have been exacerbated in topics with reasonable COPD.
The VFA is a localized adipose tissue space across the inside organs, and several other research have reported that belly VFA is elevated in COPD sufferers.27,28 Within the present research, there was no important distinction within the VFA index between the management and COPD teams after propensity rating matching, or between the management group and delicate COPD subgroup within the a number of regression mannequin. Nonetheless, topics within the reasonable COPD subgroup had the next VFA index when put next with the management group within the a number of regression mannequin. These outcomes recommend that belly VFA have been elevated in topics with a extra superior COPD stage.
Contemplating the findings for the VFA index within the COPD subgroups, we anticipated that there could be no change or a slight lower in VFA attenuation amongst delicate COPD topics when put next with management topics. Nonetheless, the VFA attenuation was elevated in topics with delicate COPD. This is likely to be an unintended discovering as a result of there was comparatively little distinction within the belly physique compositions between the management and delicate COPD topics, and there was no improve in VFA attenuation within the topics with reasonable COPD. Additional large-scale research are required to judge these findings additional.
Based mostly on the decreased NAMA attenuation, and the elevated LAMA, and IMAT indexes, we will conclude that intra-abdominal lipid elements have been elevated in COPD topics when put next with management topics. Though the mechanism for intra-abdominal lipid accumulation in COPD topics just isn’t clear, it is likely to be attributed to persistent systemic irritation, smoking, dietary habits, life-style, genetic components, hormonal adjustments, and the usage of medicine comparable to steroids.2,32–34 Moreover, ectopic fats contributes to elevated proinflammatory mediators comparable to TNF-α, IL-6, leptin, and adiponectin, which, consequently, can result in the incompetence of the muscle oxidative capability, poor purposeful standing, insulin resistance, cardiovascular comorbidities, and all-cause mortality in COPD sufferers.5,27,35–38
This research was topic to a number of limitations. First, because of the cross-sectional nature of the research design, there is likely to be causal relationships. Nonetheless, we tried to attenuate the bias by adjusting for the variations between the management and COPD teams utilizing propensity rating matching and a number of linear regression. Second, COPD prognosis for the included topics may need been inaccurate. COPD prognosis in our research was not made by the physician, it was decided on the premise of the pre-bronchodilator FEV1/FVC outcomes. Moreover, we couldn’t discriminate between combined and pure obstructive patterns in some topics because of the absence of whole lung capability. Though we thought-about age and smoking historical past for the COPD prognosis, it’s attainable that topics with bronchial asthma have been included or non-smoking COPD topics have been excluded. Subsequently, our research outcomes needs to be interpreted with warning. Third, contemplating the FEV1 values, as a result of we enrolled topics present process well being examinations, many of the topics included within the COPD group had delicate to reasonable illness. Our research outcomes may differ amongst topics with extreme or very extreme COPD. Nicely-designed and large-scale research concentrating on topics with superior stage COPD are required to attract definitive conclusions. Fourth, it’s attainable that underlying comorbidities (heart problems, hypertension, diabetes, and hyperlipidemia) obtained from self-report questionnaires have been incorrectly recognized. Moreover, coronary heart, lung, liver, kidney, and rheumatic problems may need been underdiagnosed, since focus was positioned on metabolic issues and metabolic-syndrome-related illnesses. Fifth, life-style components (alcohol consumption and train grade) may need not been objectively quantified, and we couldn’t examine the topics’ medicine use (comparable to bronchodilators, steroids, antihypertensive medicines, diabetic medicines, and lipid reducing brokers). Nonetheless, we tried to regulate for these limitations by enrolling numerous topics and by conducting in-depth matching of research topics. Lastly, we couldn’t consider the belly fats and muscle variations based on the COPD phenotype, comparable to persistent bronchitis and emphysema. There may need been completely different findings between the 2 phenotypes; thus, additional research are required to research this.
On this massive cross-sectional research utilizing CT-based physique composition evaluation, it was discovered that intramuscular and intermuscular belly fats infiltration could also be elevated in delicate COPD topics, and it might be extra superior in reasonable COPD topics unbiased of age, intercourse, peak, weight, BMI, underlying illnesses, life-style, and metabolic components. These outcomes recommend that intramuscular and intermuscular belly fats infiltration is a vital discovering of belly composition adjustments in COPD topics. Our research findings needs to be validated by bigger, potential randomized management research investigating belly fats and muscle in COPD topics.
APCT, abdominopelvic computed tomography; BMI, physique mass index; COPD, persistent obstructive pulmonary illness; CT, computed tomography; FEV1, pressured expiratory quantity within the first 1 second; FVC, pressured very important capability; HbA1c, glycosylated hemoglobin; HDL-C, high-density lipoprotein ldl cholesterol; HU, Hounsfield models; IMAT, intermuscular adipose tissue; LAMA, low attenuation belly muscle space; LDL-C, low-density lipoprotein ldl cholesterol, NAMA, regular attenuation muscle space; SFA, subcutaneous fats space; VFA, visceral fats space.
Knowledge Sharing Assertion
The dataset supporting the conclusions of this text is accessible upon request.
Ethics Approval and Knowledgeable Consent
This research was authorised by the suitable ethics overview board (No. 2020-08-013) and abided by the Declaration of Helsinki. The necessity for knowledgeable consent was waived owing to the retrospective nature of the research. We’ve learn and understood your journal’s insurance policies, and we imagine that neither the manuscript nor the research violates any of those.
Medical and laboratory variables have been collected from the medical information warehouse platform (Ulsan College Hospital Info of Medical Ecosystem [uICE]) by the Medical Info Heart of Ulsan College Hospital.
The authors report no conflicts of curiosity on this work.
1. Ferrari R, Caram LM, Faganello MM, Sanchez FF, Tanni SE, Godoy I. Relation between systemic inflammatory markers, peripheral muscle mass, and energy in limb muscle groups in secure COPD sufferers. Int J Chron Hinder Pulmon Dis. 2015;10:1553–1558. doi:10.2147/COPD.S85954
2. Resorlu M, Karatag O, Toprak CA, Ozturk MO. Uncared for areas on thorax computed tomography analysis in sufferers with persistent obstructive pulmonary illness: paravertebral muscle groups and para-aortic adipose tissue. J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2018;62(4):487–492. doi:10.1111/1754-9485.12716
3. Rutten EP, Breyer MK, Spruit MA, et al. Belly fats mass contributes to the systemic irritation in persistent obstructive pulmonary illness. Clin Nutr. 2010;29(6):756–760. doi:10.1016/j.clnu.2010.04.007
4. Coats V, Després JP, Alméras N, et al.; on behalf of CanCOLD Collaborative Analysis Group, Canadian Respiratory Analysis Community. Ectopic adiposity and cardiometabolic well being in COPD. Int J Chron Hinder Pulmon Dis. 2018;13:3331–3340. doi:10.2147/COPD.S168963
5. Martin M, Almeras N, Després JP, et al. Ectopic fats accumulation in sufferers with COPD: an ECLIPSE substudy. Int J Chron Hinder Pulmon Dis. 2017;12:451–460. doi:10.2147/COPD.S124750
6. Pi-Sunyer X. Adjustments in physique composition and metabolic illness threat. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2019;73(2):231–235. doi:10.1038/s41430-018-0320-x
7. Jones KI, Doleman B, Scott S, Lund JN, Williams JP. Easy psoas cross-sectional space measurement is a fast and straightforward technique to evaluate sarcopenia and predicts main surgical issues. Colorectal Dis. 2015;17(1):O20–O26. doi:10.1111/codi.12805
8. Mourtzakis M, Prado CM, Lieffers JR, Reiman T, McCargar LJ, Baracos VE. A sensible and exact strategy to quantification of physique composition in most cancers sufferers utilizing computed tomography pictures acquired throughout routine care. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2008;33(5):997–1006. doi:10.1139/H08-075
9. Shuster A, Patlas M, Pinthus JH, Mourtzakis M. The medical significance of visceral adiposity: a important overview of strategies for visceral adipose tissue evaluation. Br J Radiol. 2012;85(1009):1–10. doi:10.1259/bjr/38447238
10. Aubrey J, Esfandiari N, Baracos VE, et al. Measurement of skeletal muscle radiation attenuation and foundation of its organic variation. Acta Physiol. 2014;210(3):489–497. doi:10.1111/apha.12224
11. Kim D, Nam S, Ahn C, et al. Correlation between midthigh low-density muscle and insulin resistance in overweight nondiabetic sufferers in Korea. Diabetes Care. 2003;26(6):1825–1830. doi:10.2337/diacare.26.6.1825
12. Tuttle LJ, Sinacore DR, Mueller MJ. Intermuscular adipose tissue is muscle particular and related to poor purposeful efficiency. J Growing old Res. 2012;2012:172957. doi:10.1155/2012/172957
13. Kim DS, Kim YS, Jung KS, et al.; on behalf of Korean Academy of Tuberculosis and Respiratory Illnesses. Prevalence of persistent obstructive pulmonary illness in Korea: a population-based spirometry survey. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2005;172(7):842–847. doi:10.1164/rccm.200502-259OC
14. Liu Y, Pleasants RA, Croft JB, et al. Smoking period, respiratory signs, and COPD in adults aged ≥45 years with a smoking historical past. Int J Chron Hinder Pulmon Dis. 2015;10:1409–1416. doi:10.2147/COPD.S82259
15. International technique for the prognosis, administration, and prevention of persistent obstructive pulmonary illness: 2021 report [report on the Internet]. International initiative for Persistent Obstructive Lung Illness, Inc; 2020. Out there from: https://goldcopd.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/GOLD-REPORT-2021-v1.1-25Nov20_WMV.pdf.
16. McDonald MN, Diaz AA, Rutten E, et al. Chest computed tomography-derived low fat-free mass index and mortality in COPD. Eur Respir J. 2017;50(6):1701134. doi:10.1183/13993003.01134-2017
17. Miller MR, Hankinson J, Brusasco V, et al. Standardisation of spirometry. Eur Respir J. 2005;26(2):319–338. doi:10.1183/09031936.05.00034805
18. Choi JK, Paek D, Lee JO. Regular predictive values of spirometry in Korean inhabitants. Tuberc Respir Dis. 2005;58(3):230–242. doi:10.4046/trd.2005.58.3.230
19. Lee Okay, Kim KW, Lee JB, et al. Affect of remnant abdomen quantity and anastomosis on vitamin and physique composition in gastric most cancers sufferers. Surg Oncol. 2019;31:75–82. doi:10.1016/j.suronc.2019.09.008
20. Lee Okay, Shin Y, Huh J, et al. Latest points on physique composition imaging for sarcopenia analysis. Korean J Radiol. 2019;20(2):205–217. doi:10.3348/kjr.2018.0479
21. Park HJ, Shin Y, Park J, et al. Growth and validation of a deep studying system for segmentation of belly muscle and fats on computed tomography. Korean J Radiol. 2020;21(1):88–100. doi:10.3348/kjr.2019.0470
22. Mitsiopoulos N, Baumgartner RN, Heymsfield SB, Lyons W, Gallagher D, Ross R. Cadaver validation of skeletal muscle measurement by magnetic resonance imaging and computerized tomography. J Appl Physiol. 1998;85(1):115–122. doi:10.1152/jappl.1922.214.171.124
23. Maddocks M, Shrikrishna D, Vitoriano S, et al. Skeletal muscle adiposity is related to bodily exercise, train capability and fibre shift in COPD. Eur Respir J. 2014;44(5):1188–1198. doi:10.1183/09031936.00066414
24. Studenski SA, Peters KW, Alley DE, et al. The FNIH sarcopenia challenge: rationale, research description, convention suggestions, and ultimate estimates. J Gerontol a Biol Sci Med Sci. 2014;69(5):547–558. doi:10.1093/gerona/glu010
25. Thoemmes F, Wang L. PS matching in SPSS ver 3.04 [SPSS plug-in on the internet]. SOURCEFORGE; 2015. Out there from: https://sourceforge.net/projects/psmspss/files/psmatching3.04/.
27. van den Borst B, Gosker HR, Koster A, et al.; for Well being, Growing old, and Physique Composition (Well being ABC) Examine. The affect of belly visceral fats on inflammatory pathways and mortality threat in obstructive lung illness. Am J Clin Nutr. 2012;96(3):516–526. doi:10.3945/ajcn.112.040774
28. Furutate R, Ishii T, Wakabayashi R, et al. Extreme visceral fats accumulation in superior persistent obstructive pulmonary illness. Int J Chron Hinder Pulmon Dis. 2011;6:423–430. doi:10.2147/COPD.S22885
29. Robles PG, Sussman MS, Naraghi A, et al. Intramuscular fats infiltration contributes to impaired muscle perform in COPD. Med Sci Sports activities Exerc. 2015;47(7):1334–1341. doi:10.1249/MSS.0000000000000556
30. Bolton CE, Ionescu AA, Shiels KM, et al. Related lack of fat-free mass and bone mineral density in persistent obstructive pulmonary illness. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2004;170(12):1286–1293. doi:10.1164/rccm.200406-754OC
31. Rabinovich RA, Vilaró J. Structural and purposeful adjustments of peripheral muscle groups in persistent obstructive pulmonary illness sufferers. Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2010;16(2):123–133. doi:10.1097/MCP.0b013e328336438d
32. Després JP, Lemieux I. Belly weight problems and metabolic syndrome. Nature. 2006;444(7121):881–887. doi:10.1038/nature05488
33. Donaldson AV, Maddocks M, Martolini D, Polkey MI, Man WD. Muscle perform in COPD: a posh interaction. Int J Chron Hinder Pulmon Dis. 2012;7:523–535. doi:10.2147/COPD.S28247
34. Dallman MF, la Fleur SE, Pecoraro NC, Gomez F, Houshyar H, Akana SF. Minireview: glucocorticoids—meals consumption, belly weight problems, and rich nations in 2004. Endocrinology. 2004;145(6):2633–2638. doi:10.1210/en.2004-0037
35. Borkan GA, Hults DE, Gerzof SG, Robbins AH, Silbert CK. Age adjustments in physique composition revealed by computed tomography. J Gerontol. 1983;38(6):673–677. doi:10.1093/geronj/38.6.673
36. Simoneau JA, Colberg SR, Thaete FL, Kelley DE. Skeletal muscle glycolytic and oxidative enzyme capacities are determinants of insulin sensitivity and muscle composition in overweight girls. FASEB J. 1995;9(2):273–278. doi:10.1096/fasebj.9.2.7781930
37. Visser M, Kritchevsky SB, Goodpaster BH, et al. Leg muscle mass and composition in relation to decrease extremity efficiency in women and men aged 70 to 79: the well being, growing older and physique composition research. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2002;50(5):897–904. doi:10.1046/j.1532-5415.2002.50217.x
38. Lang T, Cauley JA, Tylavsky F, Bauer D, Cummings S, Harris TB. Computed tomographic measurements of thigh muscle cross-sectional space and attenuation coefficient predict hip fracture: the well being, growing older, and physique composition research. J Bone Miner Res. 2010;25(3):513–519. doi:10.1359/jbmr.090807