Idiopathic postprandial syndrome (IPS) happens when an individual experiences low blood sugar signs despite the fact that their blood sugar is inside a wholesome vary.
Folks expertise these signs inside hours of consuming, and researchers are unclear what causes it to occur.
The time period idiopathic pertains to a situation that develops from an unknown trigger, and postprandial means signs that happen after consuming.
This text examines IPS and its causes. It additionally discusses potential remedies for IPS and when to contact a physician.
Diabetes and non-diabetic hypoglycemia current with a clinically low blood sugar stage of 70 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) or much less, which IPS doesn’t.
IPS differs from hypoglycemia within the following methods:
- Folks with IPS will possible have regular blood sugar ranges between 80–130 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dl). Folks with diabetic or non-diabetic hypoglycemia have blood sugar ranges decrease than 70 mg/dl.
- IPS could disrupt every day residing however is unlikely to trigger long-term issues. Hypoglycemia can result in life threatening situations, together with long-term injury to the nervous system and may improve the danger of coronary heart assaults.
IPS signs are much like hypoglycemia however sometimes much less extreme and solely happen after a meal.
Signs of IPS embody:
IPS is an idiopathic situation, which implies that researchers don’t but know what causes it, and analysis is ongoing.
Anecdotal proof suggests attainable triggers for IPS could embody:
- the pancreas producing extreme insulin after a meal
- the physique being delicate to insulin
- consuming refined carbohydrates or meals excessive on the glycemic index
- consuming extreme quantities of alcohol
- the physique absorbing carbohydrates too shortly
- having a blood glucose stage within the decrease ranges of the conventional vary
- having the next blood glucose stage that quickly drops whereas remaining within the regular vary
- situations affecting the renal system
- experiencing stress or anxiousness
- the physique releasing catecholamine hormones in response to emphasize
Many individuals with IPS could not require medical remedy. As an alternative, a physician could suggest they modify their food regimen to scale back the opportunity of experiencing IPS signs.
The dietary suggestions could embody:
- consuming extra lean proteins, equivalent to rooster breast, beans, peas, and lentils
- consuming high fiber foods, equivalent to broccoli, apples, and buckwheat
- consuming healthy fats, equivalent to avocado, chia seeds, and eggs
- following a grazing food regimen, which entails consuming small meals recurrently all through the day with not more than 3 hours between meals
- avoiding giant meals
- limiting meals or drinks which can be high on the glycemic indexes
- limiting refined carbohydrates
- limiting alcohol consumption
If dietary modifications don’t relieve signs, a physician could suggest sure medicines, equivalent to
AGIs assist delay the absorption of carbohydrates within the small gut, which lowers postprandial blood glucose and insulin ranges.
A 2012 review article notes that utilizing AGIs could assist management blood glucose ranges in folks with IPS and scale back signs.
Nonetheless, knowledge on the effectiveness of those medicines for treating IPS is scarce, and extra analysis is important to find out if they’re useful and secure.
If an individual incessantly experiences hypoglycemia signs after consuming, they need to communicate with a physician. A health care provider will ask questions on signs and take a medical historical past. A health care provider might help to diagnose if an individual has IPS or one other situation.
If a healthcare skilled suspects IPS, they might recommend making dietary modifications or prescribe medicines equivalent to AGIs.
IPS is a situation the place an individual experiences signs of hypoglycemia however with regular blood sugar ranges.
Folks could confuse IPS with different situations with related signs, however it’s a totally different situation.
It’s unclear why IPS occurs and why it happens after a meal. The situation seems to haven’t any hyperlink with low blood glucose.
As researchers don’t but know the reason for IPS, there usually are not many remedy choices. At current, a physician could recommend dietary modifications or remedy to decelerate the physique’s absorption of carbohydrates.