WASHINGTON, April 5, 2021 /PRNewswire/ — In the present day, the Food Is Medicine Coalition (FIMC), a nationwide coalition of nonprofits centered on the intersection of vitamin and healthcare, respectfully supplied coverage suggestions associated to medically tailor-made meals in a letter to Xavier Becerra, the brand new secretary of the U.S. Well being and Human Companies Division.
As medically tailor-made meal (MTMs) suppliers who serve folks in communities throughout the nation who’re too sick to buy or prepare dinner for themselves, FIMC acknowledges vitamin as a key social determinant of well being and addresses well being fairness by rebalancing well being in favor of our purchasers by way of the companies we offer. Robust research reveals that when MTMs are included as a part of a remedy plan for these at highest danger in our communities, the service ends in larger affected person satisfaction, higher well being outcomes and decrease healthcare prices. Receipt of MTMs (as in comparison with a gaggle of comparable people who didn’t obtain MTMs) is related to:
- Discount in emergency division visits of dually eligible people by 70%
- Discount in inpatient hospital admissions by 52%
- Discount in admission to expert nursing services by 72%
- 16% internet lower in well being care prices for over 800 people receiving the service over a 5-year interval.
Regardless of this proof, there was restricted federal help for MTMs. To right this service hole, FIMC businesses for years have fostered healthcare innovation by way of Medicaid, Medicare and different healthcare funding streams, additional demonstrating the efficacy of the MTM intervention. The COVID-19 pandemic has solely underscored the pressing want for MTM, as FIMC businesses remained open all through the pandemic to proceed to serve their purchasers and increase meal supply companies to these coping with meals insecurity at dwelling.
“Racial inequity and socioeconomic disparity have resulted in lack of entry to correct vitamin for a lot of. This has grow to be a serious public well being situation in our nation and disproportionally impacts the communities we serve. Our expertise as service suppliers, in addition to the peer-reviewed analysis, present that MTMs are one of many least costly and best methods to enhance our healthcare system in an equitable approach. The time has come to acknowledge the efficacy of administering MTMs on a broader scale and to implement insurance policies that make that provision a actuality,” mentioned Karen Pearl, President & CEO of God’s Love We Deliver in New York and Chair of the Meals Is Medication Coalition.
Within the letter to Secretary Becerra, FIMC made the next suggestions:
Whereas making MTMs a totally reimbursable profit for all who may gain advantage in Medicare and Medicaid is the last word purpose for the Administration, FIMC advisable increasing on current profitable applications that incorporate MTMs throughout the first 12 months.
- Totally fund and implement pilot MTM applications within the Medicare and Medicaid applications;
- Develop funding and programmatic alternatives for medically tailor-made meals inside Title III of the Older People Act;
- Improve Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program funding to help all of the Individuals Dwelling With HIV/AIDS (PWH) that come to FIMC businesses in want;
- Present analysis funding for MTM.
Longer-Time period Alternatives
For the Administration, FIMC turned to broader systemic modifications that combine MTM into the medical construction of healthcare supply and help restoration and well being for high-risk populations.
- Modernize Medicare and Medicaid to make MTMs a totally reimbursable profit for folks dwelling with extreme sickness;
- Improve funding and institutional help for brand new analysis on MTMs and different “meals is medication” interventions;
- Enhance high quality requirements for vitamin interventions;
- Join medical methods to the social companies security internet by implementing common screening for meals insecurity and malnutrition; rising vitamin schooling amongst healthcare suppliers; bettering coordination of referrals to the MTM intervention; and constructing medical coding of meals insecurity, malnutrition, and their therapies.
“FIMC is aware of that early and dependable entry to medically tailor-made meals helps critically and chronically sick people reside wholesome and productive lives, produces higher total well being outcomes, and reduces well being care prices. It’s a resolution that improves inhabitants and particular person well being, makes a person’s expertise of care higher, and has been confirmed to cut back prices. Through the COVID-19 pandemic, People have gone by way of a really attempting time, and the businesses of FIMC have strived to characterize one of the best of our nation. We’re able to proceed serving and dealing to convey our life-saving service to all these in want throughout the nation.”
~ David Waters, CEO of Community Servings in Boston, MA
In regards to the Meals Is Medication Coalition
The Meals Is Medication Coalition (FIMC) is a coalition of nonprofit medically tailor-made meal suppliers who serve folks in communities throughout the nation who’re too sick to buy or prepare dinner for themselves. Medically tailor-made meals (MTMs) are delivered to people dwelling with extreme sickness by way of a referral from a medical skilled or healthcare plan. Meal plans are tailor-made to the medical wants of the recipient by a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN), and are designed to enhance well being outcomes, decrease value of care and improve affected person satisfaction. Due to their sophisticated medical conditions, most of our purchasers are unable to eat the meals supplied by many different emergency meals suppliers. MTMs are delivered to a person’s dwelling. Within the final 12 months, collectively, FIMC MTM suppliers served over 11 million meals to over 48,000 folks throughout a number of states and the District of Columbia. Shoppers dwelling with a major analysis of HIV, most cancers or diabetes made up nearly all of people who obtained meals from FIMC businesses within the final 12 months, nevertheless, the plurality of purchasers reside with a number of diagnoses directly. For extra info, go to www.fimcoalition.org.
SOURCE Meals Is Medication Coalition