Involved UM Indian Graduates (CUMIG) view with a lot concern the unsolved challenge of the contract medical officers (MOs). The more-than-23,000 contract docs are amongst those that are tirelessly working on the forefront of the battle in opposition to Covid-19, however are rewarded with a bleak future.
These contract docs are continually on tenterhooks, because of the lack of job safety and alternatives for profession development beneath the present contract employment phrases.
CUMIG want to spotlight just a few factors that must be addressed as quickly as attainable to alleviate the predicament of those contract docs with whom we stand in solidarity with.
1. Contract medical officers needs to be given everlasting appointment as medical officers, equal to their counterparts. Whereas we perceive that this might not be carried out instantly and can most likely occur in a staggered method, an alternate answer needs to be carried out instantly.
2. The federal government should expedite the restructuring means of the civil service with rigorous rationalisation of positions and job scope. Speedy digitisation has rendered some jobs out of date.
Warrant of Appointment (Waran Perjawatan) awarded for these positions will be apportioned for different ministries such because the Ministry of Well being (MOH), with a view to create extra everlasting positions for contract medical officers. This will additionally cut back any monetary implications for the federal government if extra everlasting positions are created.
3. We propose the choice standards or pointers for the appointments of everlasting posts be made clear. The federal government has provided everlasting posts to 789 contract medical officers from solely three cohorts, who began their medical graduate coaching (housemanships) in December 2016, February 2017 and Could 2017.
Everlasting positions had been provided solely to those three cohorts, and people from totally different cohorts, who started housemanships as early as July 2017 onwards are left within the lurch.
All of the docs who’ve accomplished their housemanships from 2020 onwards got an extension of contract till 2022, and are at the moment serving the MOH as floating medical officers, or posted to hospitals as contract medical officers.
Merely extending their contracts till 2022 wouldn’t suffice.
4. Another answer can be to supply contract medical officers who weren’t provided everlasting positions an extension of 10 years on their contracts with fast impact, to ensure that them to proceed their specialisation research and required medical coaching, and be gazetted as specialists.
Below the contract system, medical officers are being pressured to proceed specialist coaching abroad beneath the parallel pathway system, however aren’t assured to have the ability to end, because of the uncertainty of the contract employment.
All of the contract docs needs to be eligible to use for the federal authorities’s Hadiah Latihan Persekutuan (HLP) scholarship to pursue their specialisation research.
5. The contract docs also needs to obtain all the advantages as their everlasting counterparts with fast impact, because the workload is simply the identical for each.
Though UD43 MOs are purported to get the identical wage as their everlasting counterparts, this doesn’t assure that they are going to be getting everlasting posts after completion of their obligatory two-year service.
It additionally signifies that they are going to nonetheless not have the ability to take pleasure in sure advantages as what the everlasting MOs are having, together with hazard depart and different advantages.
6. We additionally search to make clear the proposed new remuneration of contract medical officers beneath the UD43 grade. These contract medical officers who had been upgraded to the UD43 grade weren’t knowledgeable about their new wage scale.
There are uncertainties on whether or not there’s a hike in wage, or if the federal government is retaining their earlier UD41 web wage.
Lots of these serving beforehand as UD41 and have now been provided a UD43 put up have reached (by way of yearly increments) RM 3,622 whereas the entry-point wage scale provided with the UD43 grade is RM 3,611.
7. The Malaysian annual inhabitants development charge is 0.4 per cent, in keeping with the Malaysian Division of Statistics. The ratio of docs and specialists serving the nation should be proportional to this development charge.
Obstruction of those contract medical officers’ specialisation routes will result in a scarcity of specialists sooner or later.
8. This example is additional aggravated by the pandemic, in addition to the prevalence of non-communicable illnesses (NCDs) which have risen considerably within the final decade.
It’s estimated that by 2025 our diabetes prevalence shall be about 31.3 per cent amongst adults as highlighted within the Nationwide Well being and Morbidity Survey (NHMS). 90 per cent of the NCD-related untimely deaths happen in low-income and middle-income nations and will have been largely prevented.
The SWOT evaluation of Nationwide Strategic Plan for NCD (NSP-NCD) 2010-2024 was discovered to exhibit weaknesses by way of lack of indication and analysis standards with no particular goal outlined for every technique.
The present NSP-NCD listed strengthening and orienting well being methods to handle the prevention and management of NCDs by way of major well being care and common well being protection.
This contract system will ultimately result in a destructive affect in implementation, when these contract docs who’re the pillars of major well being care and well being protection have their contracts terminated after 2022.
9. Excessive-income international locations repeatedly reform their well being care system. With the continued pandemic, in addition to to foster our progress in direction of the objective attaining high-income nation standing, it’s extremely really useful that we mannequin after these international locations.
Among the many reforms that they’ve carried out are the strengthening and enhance of staffing ranges, which had been carried out in France, Denmark, Italy and Latvia.
10. In an effort to curb the problem of a medical graduate glut, which additionally contributes to the issue, the medical programmes run each regionally and internationally that preserve churning out hundreds of medical graduates annually should be regulated.
So far, Malaysia has 32 medical schools, which comprise each personal (21) and public (11) establishments. That’s greater than Australia, the UK, and the US on a per capita foundation.
As well as, we at the moment recognise over 360 medical programmes which can be run in 36 overseas international locations. This yields about 5,000 medical graduates annually.
11. Extra stringent laws must be carried out to make sure this massive inflow of medical graduates is stored in examine. The federal government ought to determine medical faculties or overseas medical programmes which can be admitting college students who don’t meet minimal necessities, and de-recognise these programmes.
12. It should even be famous that there have been a number of articles revealed within the media close to the psychological well being of younger docs through the Covid-19 pandemic.
Many younger docs are experiencing antagonistic psychological well being issues, and this contract vs everlasting employment challenge, coupled with excessive work calls for will contribute to the event of despair, nervousness and stress.
If this challenge will not be handled instantly, many extra psychological well being points amongst these docs will happen.
This challenge, which has been dragged on for years, has now sparked an outcry among the many affected docs.
We actually imagine that the matter is being addressed and a constructive end result shall be achieved as quickly as attainable.
We belief that the minister will contemplate urgently to mitigate any potential devastating penalties.
- That is the private opinion of the author or publication and doesn’t essentially signify the views of CodeBlue.