Catheter-associated urinary tract infections (CAUTIs) proceed to be among the many most typical health-care related infections worldwide: CAUTIs account for 40% of all hospital-acquired infections and 80% of all nosocomial urinary tract infections (UTIs).1 If inadequately handled, CAUTIs could progress to issues corresponding to cystitis, pyelonephritis, Gram-negative bacteremia, endocarditis, vertebral osteomyelitis, septic arthritis, and meningitis in all sufferers2 and these result in discomfort for the affected person, with an extra mortality charge of 23 deaths per 1000 inpatients and extra prices of $1000/case, i.e., further prices per hospital acquired an infection.3
It’s estimated that 10–12% of hospitalized sufferers and 4% of sufferers in the neighborhood have urinary catheters in situ at any given time.4 Feminine intercourse, outdated age, length of hospital keep, impaired immunity, opening a closed system, illness comorbidity and measures (i.e., diabetes mellitus, renal illness, and use of systemic antibiotics) and suboptimal aseptic strategies are threat elements of CAUTIs.5,6
Micro organism can enter the bladder throughout insertion of the catheter, via the catheter lumen, or from across the outdoors of the catheter. The most typical infecting organisms are Escherichia coli, Klebsiella species, Proteus species, Enterococcus species, Pseudomonas species, Enterobacter species and Serratia species.7 Antimicrobial resistance amongst urinary pathogens has been an ever-increasing drawback in the previous few a long time; there have been vital modifications within the antibiogram of CAUTIs bacterial isolates and stories on unfold of resistance amongst them.8 The mix of rising multidrug resistant (MDR) micro organism together with the protection afforded by biofilm formation are set to make profitable therapy with systemic antibiotics ever tougher to realize.9,10 CAUTIs are a significant well being concern; understanding the danger elements, incidence of bacterial isolates, biofilm formation and antimicrobial susceptibility patterns in catheterized sufferers is essential for correct therapy and administration of CAUTIs since these information are missing within the examine space.
Research Design, Setting and Inhabitants
A facility-based cross-sectional examine was performed from March to December 2019 at Arba Minch Basic Hospital (AMGH), Southern Ethiopia. The examine inhabitants was catheterized sufferers who stayed on a catheter for greater than 48 h and with indicators and signs of UTIs at AMGH through the examine interval. Inclusion standards are catheterized sufferers who stayed on catheter for greater than 48 h and with no less than two of the next indicators and signs of UTIs: fever, suprapubic tenderness, costovertebral angle ache or tenderness, urinary urgency, urinary frequency and dysuria.11 In response to Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention (CDC) standards sufferers are stated to have symptomatic CAUTI if there’s vital bacteriuria (≥105 cfu/mL) with no less than two indicators and/or signs of acute UTI (from the next: fever, suprapubic tenderness, costovertebral angle ache or tenderness, urinary urgency, urinary frequency and dysuria) with an indwelling urethral catheter in place for greater than 2 days. Sufferers have been excluded in the event that they (a) have current historical past of UTI (inside 6 months), (b) those that have been on antimicrobial therapy of urinary tract an infection or immunosuppressive medicine (inside 2 weeks), (c) have a constructive urine tradition with vital bacterial depend on the day of urinary catheter placement, (d) those that have been catheterized outdoors the hospital, (e) those that have been unconscious or had cognitive impairment, (f) those that have been catheterized apart from Foley catheter (g) isolation of polymicrobial progress in cultures, (h) refused to take part or have been discharged or transferred to different hospitals with maintained catheter.
Information Assortment and Laboratory Investigations
Socio-demographic information have been collected with a pre-tested, nicely designed questionnaire via head to head interview. Sufferers’ medical information corresponding to comorbidities, causes for admission, admission ward, length of hospitalization, length of catheterization, purpose for catheterization and place of catheter insertion have been taken from sufferers’ medical data (supplemented by affected person interviews). A scientific examination was carried out on every participant with due emphasis on indicators and signs suitable with UTI (which embrace no less than two of the next indicators and/or signs: fever, suprapubic ache or tenderness, costo-vertebral angle ache or tenderness, dysuria, pressing or frequent urination and suprapubic ache or tenderness). Catheterized sufferers who stayed on catheter for greater than 48 hand with no less than two of the next indicators and/or signs of UTIs: fever, suprapubic tenderness, costovertebral angle ache or tenderness, urinary urgency, urinary frequency and dysuria have been included on this examine.
A freshly voided clear catch midstream urine pattern (10–20 mL) was collected with a large mouth sterile container with screw cap earlier than catheter insertion. In sufferers with short-term (<7 days) catheterization, urine specimens have been obtained by sampling via the catheter port utilizing aseptic method (disinfecting with 70% alcohol) or, if a port just isn’t current, by puncturing the catheter tubing with a needle and syringe after clamping (catheter urine is taken on this case as a result of threat of contamination is low). In sufferers with long-term (> 7 days) indwelling catheters, urine pattern was collected after catheter was changed from the freshly positioned catheter. All assortment was completed instantly previous to initiating antimicrobial remedy. The urine samples have been instantly transported to the Microbiology and Parasitology Laboratory of Arba Minch College for microbiological investigations.
Urine samples have been inoculated concurrently onto blood agar, MacConkey agar, and cysteine lactose electrolyte poor agar (CLED) [Oxoid Ltd Co., Basingstoke, UK] utilizing a sterile calibrated inoculating loop able to transferring 0.001 mL. Inoculated tradition media have been incubated in cardio ambiance at 37°C for twenty-four h. After in a single day incubation, the bacterial progress on the respective media was inspected visually and graded for the presence of serious bacteriuria. Nonetheless, if progress was not detected, the tradition plates have been re-incubated for an extra 24 hbefore the tradition was thought of adverse.
A big bacteriuria was thought of, if pure tradition at a focus of ≥105 colony forming unit (CFU)/mL and for cultures that contained two organisms we solely sub-cultured the predominant organism as a result of the organism of decrease numbers is unlikely to be inflicting illness. If each have been current at >10,000 CFU/mL, we sub-cultured each organisms. The persistence of the identical organism on repeated urine cultures was thought of as a pathogen even when the colony counts have been low (i.e., <10,000 CFU/mL). All isolates have been additional recognized utilizing colony morphology and biochemical exams.12,13
Antimicrobial susceptibility testing was carried out primarily based on Kirby Bauer disc diffusion technique utilizing Scientific and Laboratory Commonplace Institute (CLSI) pointers.14 A homogeneous suspension equal to that of 0.5 McFarland requirements was ready from an in a single day pure tradition of respective micro organism isolates and inoculated to Mueller Hinton agar plates. The inoculated plates have been left at room temperature to dry for 3–5 min and a set of antibiotic discs have been positioned on the plates. The next antibiotic discs with their respective concentrations have been used: penicillin (10 μg), ampicillin (10 μg), gentamicin (10 μg), ciprofloxacin (5 μg), tetracycline (30 μg), erythromycin (15 μg), vancomycin (30 μg), chloramphenicol (30 μg), norfloxacin (10 μg), nitrofurantoin (300 μg), cefoxitin (30 μg), and ceftriaxone (30 μg) for Gram-positive micro organism and ampicillin (10 μg), piperacillin (100 μg), cefoxitin (30 μg), cefepime (30 μg), ceftriaxone (5 μg), gentamicin (10 μg), ciprofloxacin (5 μg), tetracycline (30 μg), meropenem (10 μg), amikacin (30 μg), naldixic acid (30 μg), norfloxacin (10 μg), nitrofurantoin (300 μg) and ceftazidime (30 μg) for Gram-negative micro organism. The plates have been then incubated at 37°C for 16–18 h. Outcomes have been interpreted as delicate, intermediate and resistant in keeping with the rules of the CLSI.14 Multidrug resistance (MDR) was decided when an organism was proof against better than three courses (classes) of antimicrobial brokers.12,14,25
Every isolate’s in vitro biofilm-forming means was quantified utilizing the microtiter plate evaluation. In short, 20 µL of bacterial suspension was adjusted to a 0.5 McFarland turbidity after which 180 µL of TSB supplemented with 1% glucose have been inoculated on every nicely within the microtiter plate to achieve a remaining quantity of 200 µL together with constructive management organism and incubated at 37°C for twenty-four h. A sterile broth was used as a clean and adverse management. After incubation, the plates have been tapped and wells washed with 300 μL of phosphate buffer saline (pH 7.2) 4 instances to take away free-floating micro organism. Biofilms that remained adhered to the partitions and the underside of the wells have been fastened utilizing methanol and stained with 0.1% crystal violet. Extra stain was washed with distilled water and the plates have been left for air drying. Optical density (OD) was measured by utilizing a microplate reader at a wavelength of 570 nm. The cut-off optical density (OD) was calculated and outlined as three normal deviations above the imply OD of the adverse management and accordingly the OD was discovered to be 0.214. Lastly, the OD worth of a examined pressure was expressed as the typical OD after subtracting the OD, 0.214 from the measured OD. Outcomes have been interpreted primarily based on the OD worth corresponding to non-biofilm producer if OD ≤ 0.214, weak biofilm producer if the worth was between 0.214 and 0.428, reasonable if between 0.428 and 0.856, and robust if OD ≥ 0.856.15
Information High quality Assurance
Pre-test was performed in Chencha Hospital (Arba Minch, Ethiopia) on 5% of examine contributors to guarantee that the info assortment format was possible in a intently associated setting. Commonplace operational procedures have been ready and adopted strictly. Cross-checking was completed every day for information completeness. Management strains S. aureus ATCC 25923 and E. coli ATCC 25922 have been used.
Information have been entered in to EpiData model 3.1 and exported and analyzed utilizing SPSS software program model 20 (IBM statistics, Armonk, NY). Categorical variables have been analyzed by Chi-square take a look at or Fisher’s actual take a look at. Steady variables have been analyzed by impartial t-tests or Mann–Whitney U-test. Parameters have been in contrast utilizing bivariate and multivariate logistic regression and chi-square exams. Variables with a p-value < 0.25 in bivariable evaluation have been included as candidate variables for multivariable mannequin. The diploma of affiliation between dependent and impartial variables was assessed utilizing an adjusted odds ratio with a 95% confidence interval. All exams have been 2-tailed, and a p-value of < 0.05 was taken as a cut-off level to find out the presence of a statistically vital affiliation.
Baseline Socio-demographic and Scientific Traits
A complete of 231 hospitalized sufferers with urinary catheter for greater than two days have been enrolled on this examine. Research contributors have been predominantly male (67.5%) in ratio of two:1 with a imply age of 49.6 ± 15.5. Total, examine contributors have been catheterized for a complete interval of 1385 days. The imply length of urethral catheter was 6.0 ± 2.6 days ranging between 2 and 30 days. Antibiotic prophylaxis was prescribed for 158 (68.4%) contributors (Table 1).
Desk 1 Socio-demographic, Scientific Traits and Related Components Amongst Sufferers with Symptomatic CAUTIs
Prevalence of CAUTIs and Related Components
Out of 231 sufferers catheterized, CAUTIs was recognized in 39 sufferers giving an general prevalence charge of 16.88%. The speed of incidence of symptomatic CAUTIs per 1000 catheter days was 28.15. CAUTIs was highest 25/42 (66.6%) within the age group of >60 years, in sufferers admitted in surgical ward 28 (71.8%), sufferers hospitalized for greater than 10 days and sufferers having underlying ailments 25/42 (64.1%).
Multivariate evaluation confirmed that elements corresponding to insertion of catheter outdoors operation room, extended length of catheterization (7 days) and diabetes mellitus have been impartial threat elements for CAUTIs. The percentages of incidence of symptomatic CAUTIs have been discovered to be 3.18 instances extra in diabetes mellitus sufferers in contrast with their counterparts (p<0.001, adjusted OR = 3.18, 95 CI: 1.348–7.517). The incidence of CAUTIs was elevated by greater than 3-fold when the catheter was inserted out of the operation room (p<0.001, adjusted OR = 3.65, 95% CI: 1.08–12.28). Considerably larger charge of growth of CAUTIs was noticed amongst sufferers catheterized for seven days and above (adjusted OR = 5.36, 95 CI: 1.45–19.68) [Table 1].
Range of Micro organism Remoted from Sufferers with CAUTIs
A complete of 42 bacterial isolates belonging to 9 totally different genera have been remoted from 39 sufferers Amongst the 42 isolates, Escherichia coli was discovered to be essentially the most often remoted organism 17 (40.47%). Among the many bacterial isolates 33/42 (78.57%) have been Gram-negative bacilli and 9/42 (22.5%) have been Gram-positive cocci (Figure 1).
Determine 1 Bacterial profiles amongst CAUTI sufferers at Arba-Minch Basic Hospital, South Ethiopia (proportion of bacterial isolates).
Antibiotic Susceptibility Profiles of Bacterial Isolates
The sample of antibiotic sensitivity of the organisms inflicting CAUTIs was analyzed by evaluating the varied drug teams with totally different sensitivity percentages. Whatever the remoted bacterial species, we discovered that amongst all of the urinary isolates the vary of resistance to ampicillin, cotrimoxazole and tetracycline have been 40–100%, 75–90% and 66.7–86.6%, respectively. Nonetheless nitrofurantoin was discovered to be efficient in each Gram-positive and Gram-negative isolates with sensitivity of 40/42 (95.2%) adopted by gentamicin and cefoxitin with sensitivity of 14/42 (33.4%). Resistance towards the generally prescribed fluoroquinolone group ranged from 29/42 (69%) for ciprofloxacin as much as 30/42 (71.4%) for norfloxacin [Tables 2 and 3].
Desk 2 Antimicrobial Susceptibility Sample of Gram-Unfavourable Micro organism Remoted from Urine Tradition of Symptomatic CAUTIs Sufferers
Desk 3 Antimicrobial Susceptibility Sample of Gram-Constructive Bacterial Isolates from Urine Tradition of Symptomatic CAUTIs Sufferers
Multi-drug Resistance (MDR) Isolates of CAUTIs
Out of 42 isolates, 37 (88.1%) have been discovered to have multi-drug resistance (MDR). All Klebsiella species confirmed MDR adopted by 16/17 (94.1%) of E. coli [Table 4].
Desk 4 Proportion of the Most Widespread MDR Profiles Amongst Sufferers with Symptomatic CAUTIs
Prevalence of Biofilm Formation
Out of the 42 micro organism remoted, 30 have been discovered to be in vitro biofilm producers exhibiting a prevalence of 71.4%. Robust biofilm formation was famous in 16/42 (53.3%) and a reasonable stage of biofilm formations in 10/42 (33.3%). Solely a weak biofilm formation was noticed in 4/42 (13.3%) circumstances and completely no such phenomenon was seen in 12/42 (28.5%). Biofilm formation was very outstanding in Gram-positive micro organism 33/42 (77.8%) in contrast with Gram-negative isolates 29/42 (69.7%) [Table 5].
Desk 5 Biofilm Formation of Bacterial Isolates from CAUTIs Sufferers of Arba-Minch Basic Hospital, 2019
In our examine the general prevalence of symptomatic CAUTIs was 16.9% (95% CI: 12.3–22.3). This discovering is much like research performed in China 15.8%,16 Uganda 15.3%17 and Sudan 16.37%.18 The prevalence of CAUTIs in our examine is decrease than research completed in India 42.9%2 and Nigeria 60.9%.19 Nonetheless it’s larger than research performed in USA 1.41%,6 Italy 6.2%20 and Australia 0.9%.21 The variation in prevalence of CAUTIs could be on account of varied causes such because the gender of the affected person, an infection prevention insurance policies which embrace aseptic job, catheter care, length of catheterization and shut drainage system. As well as general variation in prevalence of CAUTIs could possibly be attributed to distinction in examine protocols, pattern measurement, methodological variation and length of examine.
Diabetic mellitus sufferers have been greater than 5 instances extra prone to develop CAUTIs than their counterparts and this was discovered to be statistically vital. Our result’s in keeping with totally different research performed in Egypt,23 India2 and Korea.22 This can be on account of impairment of host defenses, together with decreased polymorphonuclear leukocyte mobilization, chemotaxis, and phagocytic exercise associated to hyperglycemia, and this will increase the adherence of micro organism to the bladder epithelial cells.24 Furthermore, the presence of glycosuria could favor progress of micro organism and promote their colonization and biofilm formation on catheter floor when urinary catheters are indwelling. Place the place catheter is inserted confirmed a statistically vital affiliation with CAUTIs. Sufferers who had catheter insertion on the surgical ward have been 3.6 instances extra prone to develop CAUTIs than sufferers who had catheter insertion within the operation room. This discovering is comparable with findings of a examine performed in Italy.20 This could be on account of inappropriate strategy of catheter insertion, poor hand hygiene and never following aseptic strategy of catheter insertion. Subsequently, the necessity to assessment the prevailing coverage and pointers on the insertion and care of urinary catheter in our health-care settings is indeniable.
Essentially the most often remoted UTI pathogens have been E. coli (40.47%) adopted by Klebsiella spp (21.43%) which was comparable with research performed in Uganda17 and Ethiopia.25 The predominance of those micro organism within the intestine as regular flora could lead to an an infection of the urinary tract by contaminating the urethra and ascending into the bladder throughout catheter insertion. Research performed in Italy,20 Thailand26 and Sudan18 confirmed that P. aeruginosa or Enterococcus species have been essentially the most frequent bacterial isolates. This distinction in distribution of bacterial isolates could also be on account of variations in environmental circumstances, length of catheterization and the organisms’ uniqueness to every facility.
The current examine confirmed that Gram-negative micro organism isolates confirmed excessive stage of resistance to the generally prescription drugs. Gram-negative micro organism isolates have been proof against ampicillin (100%), tetracycline (86.6%) and cotrimoxazole (83.3%) which is analogous to research performed in Korea27 and Nigeria.7 Nonetheless bacterial isolates confirmed excessive stage of susceptibility to nitrofurantoin (96.7%), amikacin (84.8%) and meropenem (87.9%). The decrease resistance to those drug could possibly be their uncommon native availability and better value in contrast with others. In distinction to our findings decreased susceptibility was noticed for nitrofurantoin in Uganda17 and Nigeria.7
Within the current examine 73.8% of bacterial isolates have been in vitro constructive for biofilm formation with 69.7% and 88.9% for Gram-negative and Gram-positive isolates, respectively. This discovering is comparable with research reported from India 71.23%,28 Pakistan 73.4%13 and Ethiopia 79.7%.25 Nonetheless decrease biofilm-forming micro organism than the current examine have been reported in Egypt with 43.3%29 and India 27%.30 The distinction in biofilm-formation patterns amongst bacterial isolates could also be on account of variations in pressure sorts, variety of bacterial isolates, pattern sizes, geographic areas, and methodological variations to evaluate biofilm formation.
The general magnitude of catheter-associated urinary tract an infection was 16.9%. Escherichia coli, Klebsiella spp. and Enterococcus spp. have been the predominant etiologies of CAUTIs amongst catheterized sufferers. Nitrofurantoin, amikacin and meropenem are the medicine of alternative for empirical remedy of CAUTIs. The vast majority of bacterial isolates had larger charges of resistance to generally prescribed antimicrobials. Subsequently, therapy and administration of CAUTIs needs to be primarily based on the information of bacterial etiology and their antibiotic resistance patterns. Periodic monitoring of antimicrobial resistance patterns helps physicians to decide on antimicrobial brokers for empiric therapy of CAUTIs.
Limitation of the Research
It was not potential to incorporate fungal pathogens on account of price range constraints and the laboratory setup the place the analysis was performed. Moreover, for antimicrobial susceptibility testing of vancomycin it’s endorsed to make use of the minimal inhibitory focus (MIC) technique, however this was not included due to price range constraints.
UTI, Urinary tract an infection; BPH, Benign prostatic hyperplasia; CAUTIs, Catheter-Related Urinary Tract Infections; AOR, Adjusted odd ratio; CFU, Colony forming unit; CLSI, Scientific and Laboratory Requirements Institute; CLED, Cysteine Lactose Electrolyte Poor Agar; CoNS, Coagulase adverse Staphylococcus; CI, Confidence Interval; COR, Crude odd ratio; FDA, Meals and Drug Administration; HAI, Hospital acquired an infection; ICU, Intensive Care Unit; IUC, indwelling urinary catheter; MDR, Multi-drug Resistance; MHA, Mueller Hinton Agar; MRSA, Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus; spp., species; TSI, Triple Sugar Iron agar.
Information Sharing Assertion
The datasets generated and/or analyzed through the present examine should not publicly obtainable on account of moral and confidentiality causes however can be found from the corresponding writer on cheap request below the Ethics Committee’s approval.
Ethics Approval and Consent to Take part
The proposal of this examine was ethically authorized by Institutional Assessment Board (IRB) of Arba Minch College Faculty of Medication and Well being Sciences. Permission was obtained from Arba Minch Basic Hospital. The examine contributors’ age was ≥18. Earlier than beginning information assortment, the aim of the examine was defined to all examine contributors and written knowledgeable consent was obtained. This examine was performed in accordance with the Declaration of Helsinki.
The authors want to thank those that have been concerned on this analysis.
All authors made substantial contributions to conception and design, acquisition of information, or evaluation and interpretation of information; took half in drafting the article or revising it critically for vital mental content material; agreed to undergo the present journal; gave remaining approval of the model to be printed; and comply with be accountable for all features of the work.
This analysis was supported by Arba Minch College. The funding businesses had no involvement within the design of the examine, information assortment and evaluation, interpretation of information and writing the manuscript.
The authors declare that they don’t have any conflicts of curiosity for this work.
1. Nicolle LE. Catheter related urinary tract infections. Antimicrob Resist Infect Management. 2014;3(1):1–8. doi:10.1186/2047-2994-3-23
2. Leelakrishna P, Karthik R. A examine of threat elements for catheter related urinary tract an infection. Int J Adv Med. 2018;5(2):334. doi:10.18203/2349-3933.ijam20180525
3. Apisarnthanarak A, Thongphubeth Ok, Sirinvaravong S, Kitkangvan D, Yuekyen C, Warachan B. Effectiveness of multifaceted hospitalwide high quality enchancment applications that includes an intervention to take away pointless urinary catheters at a tertiary care middle in Thailand. Infect Management Hosp Epidemiol. 2007;28(7):791–798. doi:10.1086/518453
4. Garg S, Prakash S, Bhatia N, Daga M. Urinary catheterization in medical wards. J Glob Infect Dis. 2010;2(2):83. doi:10.4103/0974-777X.62870
5. Hooton TM, Bradley SF, Cardenas DD, Colgan R, Geerlings SE, Rice JC. Prognosis, prevention, and therapy of catheter-associated urinary tract an infection in adults: 2009 worldwide scientific observe pointers from the Infectious Illnesses Society of America. Clin Infect Dis. 2010;50:625–663.
6. Letica-Kriegel AS, Salmasian H, Vawdrey DK, Youngerman BE, Inexperienced RA, Furuya EY. Figuring out the danger elements for catheter-associated urinary tract infections: a big cross-sectional examine of six hospitals. BMJ Open. 2019;9:1–7. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2018-022137
7. Taiwo S, Aderounmu A. Catheter related urinary tract an infection: aetiologic brokers and antimicrobial susceptibility sample in Ladoke Akintola College Instructing Hospital, Osogbo, Nigeria. Afri J Biomed Res. 2009;9(3):141–148. doi:10.4314/ajbr.v9i3.48897
8. Gould CV, Umscheid C, Agarwal R, Kuntz G, Pegues D. Guideline for prevention of catheter-associated urinary tract infections 2009. Infect Management Hosp Epidemiol. 2010;31(4):119–126.
9. Haslund Mcquiston J, Rosborg Dinesen M, Sternhagen Nielsen AB, Llor C, Bjerrum L. Completely different suggestions for empiric first-choice antibiotic therapy of uncomplicated urinary tract infections in Europe. Scand J Prim Well being Care. 2013;31(4):235–240. doi:10.3109/02813432.2013.844410
10. Maki DG, Tambyah PA. Engineering out the danger for an infection with urinary catheters. Emerg Infect Dis. 2001;7(2):342–347. doi:10.3201/eid0702.010240
11. Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention. Nationwide Healthcare Security Community (NHSN) affected person security element guide, CDC; 2019. Obtainable from: http://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/PDFs/pscManual/6pscVAPcurrent.pdf.
12. Tesfahunegn Z, Asrat D, Woldeamanuel Y, Estifanos Ok. Bacteriology of surgical website and catheter associated urinary tract infections amongst sufferers admitted in Mekelle Hospital, Mekelle, Tigray, Ethiopia. Ethiop Med J. 2009;47(2):117–127.
13. Sabir N, Ikram A, Zaman G, Satti L, Gardezi A, Ahmed A. Bacterial biofilm-based catheter-associated urinary tract infections: causative pathogens and antibiotic resistance. Am J Infect Management. 2017;45(10):1101–1105. doi:10.1016/j.ajic.2017.05.009
14. Wayne PA; CLSI. Efficiency Requirements for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing.
15. Stepanović S, Vuković D, Hola V, Di Bonaventura G, Djukić S, Ćirković I. Quantification of biofilm in microtiter plates: overview of testing circumstances and sensible suggestions for evaluation of biofilm manufacturing by staphylococci. APMIS. 2007;115(8):891–899. doi:10.1111/j.1600-0463.2007.apm_630.x
16. Xie DS, Lai RP, Nie SF. Surveys of catheter-associated urinary tract an infection in a college hospital intensive care unit in China. Braz J Infect Dis. 2011;15(3):296–297.
17. Musinguzi B, Kabajulizi I, Mpeirwe M, Turugurwa J, Kabanda T. Incidence and etiology of catheter related urinary tract an infection amongst admitted sufferers at Kabale Regional Referral Hospital, South Western Uganda. Adv Infect Dis. 2019;09(03):183–196. doi:10.4236/support.2019.93014
18. Ahmed M. Sample of nosocomial urinary tract infections amongst sudanese sufferers. Br Microbiol Res J. 2012;2(2):53–61. doi:10.9734/BMRJ/2012/1255
19. Onipede A, Oyekale T, Olopade B, Olaniran O, Oyelese A, Ogunniyi T. Urinary pathogens and their antimicrobial susceptibility in sufferers with indwelling urinary catheter. Sierra Leone J Biomed Res. 2010;2(1):47–53. doi:10.4314/sljbr.v2i1.56607
20. Barbadoro P, Labricciosa FM, Recanatini C, Gori G, Tirabassi F, Martini E. Catheter-associated urinary tract an infection: function of the setting of catheter insertion. Am J Infect Management. 2015;43(7):707–710. doi:10.1016/j.ajic.2015.02.011
21. Gardner A, Mitchell B, Beckingham W, Fasugba O. Some extent prevalence cross-sectional examine of healthcare-associated urinary tract infections in six Australian hospitals. BMJ Open. 2014;4(7):1–9. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2014-005099
22. Lee JH, Kim SW, Yoon BI, Ha US, Sohn DW, Cho YH. Components that have an effect on nosocomial catheter-associated urinary tract an infection in intensive care models: 2-year expertise at a single middle. Korean J Urol. 2013;54(1):59–65. doi:10.4111/kju.2013.54.1.59
23. Aly S, Tawfeek R, Mohamed I. Bacterial catheter-associated urinary tract an infection within the intensive care unit of Assiut College Hospital. Al-Azhar Assiut Med J. 2016;14(2):52. doi:10.4103/1687-1693.192652
24. Hakeem LM, Bhattacharyya DN, Lafong C, Janjua KS, Serhan JT, Campbell IW. Range and complexity of urinary tract an infection in diabetes mellitus. Br J Diabetes Vasc Dis. 2009;9(3):119–125. doi:10.1177/1474651409105654
25. Awoke N, Kassa T, Teshager L. Magnitude of biofilm formation and antimicrobial resistance sample of micro organism remoted from urinary catheterized inpatients of Jimma College Medical Middle, Southwest Ethiopia. Int J Microbiol. 2019;2019:1–9. doi:10.1155/2019/5729568
26. Kotikula I, Chaiwarith R. Epidemiology of catheter-associated urinary tract infections at maharaj nakorn chiang mai hospital, northern thailand. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Well being. 2018;49(1):113–122.
27. Park JJ, Search engine optimisation YB, Kim SR, Park HJ, Eom JS, Yoo H. Incidence of catheter-associated urinary tract an infection in hospitals with lower than 300 beds. Korean J Healthc Assoc Infect Management Prev. 2019;24(1):11–18. doi:10.14192/kjhaicp.2019.24.1.11
28. Sayal P, Singh Ok, Devi P. Detection of bacterial biofilms in sufferers with indwelling urinary catheter. Middle Data BioTechnol J Microbiol. 2014;3(3):9–16.
29. Mahmoud N, Abdallah A, Elsayed SB, Yassin MM. Biofilm forming micro organism remoted from urinary tract an infection, relation to catheterization and susceptibility to antibiotics. Int J Biotechnol Mol Biol Res. 2011;2(10):172–178.
30. Tayal R, Baveja S, De A. Evaluation of biofilm formation and antibiotic susceptibility sample of uropathogens in sufferers admitted in a tertiary care hospital in India. Int J Well being Allied Sci. 2015;4(4):247. doi:10.4103/2278-344X.167648