During the last 20 years, seven coronaviruses chargeable for respiratory ailments in people have been studied and deeply analyzed for his or her main lung and multi-organ damages (adversarial myocardial situation, cardiomyopathy and kidney failures), together with the SARS-CoV-2 chargeable for COVID-19 pandemic.1–3 The scientific spectrum of SARS-CoV-2 an infection varies from probably the most frequent asymptomatic or gentle symptomatic kinds to extreme progressive pneumonia and dying, with particular virulence components to attain mortality charges round 3%.4
In some circumstances, after an asymptomatic interval, a sudden and inexplicable worsening of scientific situations is noticed.5
In keeping with present data, the primary reason for dying in COVID-19 sufferers is a refractory acute respiratory misery syndrome (ARDS) secondary to SARS-CoV-2 pneumonia,3 however the pathophysiology of COVID-19 stays partly unknown with the ensuing lack of efficient remedies for these sufferers.
Primarily based on the commentary of the excessive similarity of SARS-CoV-2 with SARS-CoV-1, a latest examine suggests the speculation that additionally throughout COVID-19 many genes might be downregulated resulting in immune system hyperactivation, induction of signaling pathways and a subsequent cytokine storm.6 A number of research reported that SARS-CoV-2 is very selective in direction of the angiotensin system.7 Actually, it has been ascertained that the virus binds strictly the ACE2-expressing cells broadly distributed in blood vessels and tissues/organs (lungs, coronary heart, kidney and eye), a situation that explains the SARS-CoV-2 widespreading.8,9 Moreover, latest knowledge obtained by bioinformatic approaches have proven that the presence of an ACE2-Neprilysin-carbonic anhydrase complicated in most of significant organs and as a receptor of COVID-19 may very well be the idea of multi-organ damages attributable to SARS-CoV-2.10 This capacity explains the commentary of hypertension, diabetes and cardiovascular situations as frequent comorbidities in COVID-19 illness.11
The ACE2 protein is a well known carboxypeptidase considerably concerned in RAAS, important in regulating blood strain and fluid homeostasis in addition to electrolytes, with practical influences on many organs corresponding to blood vessels, coronary heart, kidneys and eyes.12 The entire angiotensin system, together with the angiotensin I-converting enzyme (ACE1), the angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2), the angiotensinogen (AGT) and the receptors angiotensin II receptor sort 1 (AGTR1) have been recognized as the important thing components for SARS-CoV-2 in getting into into the cells, tissues and organs.13 Primarily based on our earlier examine regarding the potential software of a customized method within the choice of remedy for COVID sufferers,14 we determined to judge whether or not six completely different Single Nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs), pharmacogenetically related belonging to ACE1, ACE2, AGT and AGTR1 genes or their haplotype mixtures, may very well be predictive of susceptibility to SARS-CoV-2 an infection or may very well be associated to the severity of illness. For that reason, we carried out a pilot examine analyzing the rs2074192 and rs2106809 (ACE2 gene), rs1799752 (ACE1 gene), rs4762 and rs699 (AGT gene) and rs5186 (AGTR1 gene) genetic variants in a particular inhabitants with SARS-CoV-2 an infection clinically divided into asymptomatic and symptomatic teams.
The pilot examine was carried out in accordance with Institutional tips and accredited by the Azienda Sanitaria Locale Brindisi Moral Committee, Brindisi, Italy (Prot n. R.CE 30/21). All procedures adopted the rules embodied within the Declaration of Helsinki and written knowledgeable consent was obtained from all sufferers voluntarily joined the examine.
The examine inhabitants included a complete of 104 sufferers, 54 symptomatic (19/35 F/M, imply age 68.00 ± 12.38 yrs., vary 40–90 yrs) and 50 asymptomatic (27/23 F/M, imply age 45.00 ± 11.67 yrs., vary 22–62 yrs) consecutively enrolled in accordance with inclusion standards (check positivity and RX imaging). Within the symptomatic affected person group, the recovered scientific info included the severity of respiratory compromise, dividing into two teams with excessive and intermediate depth of care (40% and 60%, respectively), weight problems (45%), hypertension (62%), diabetes (57%) and the presence of conjunctivitis (42%).
DNA Extraction and Genotyping
5 milliliters of peripheral blood have been collected in EDTA-vacutainer tubes and DNA was extracted by utilizing the Further equipment DNA (salting out); Dia-Chem srl., Naples, Italy, in accordance with the producers’ process. DNA focus was measured by NanoDrop (Thermo Fisher Scientific, Waltham, MA, USA) and samples with A260/280 ≥1.8 have been thought of acceptable for evaluation.15
All sufferers have been analyzed for six genetic polymorphisms: rs2074192 (ACE2, c.*1860-449C>T, intron variant), rs2106809 (ACE2, c.*264+788T>C, intron variant), rs1799752 (ACE1, c.2306–117_2306-116ins-del, intron variant), rs4762 (AGT, c.620C>T, p.Thr207Met), rs699 (AGT, c.803T>C, p.Met268Thr) and rs5186 (AGTR1, c.*86A>C, 3 Prime UTR Variant 1166A-C) utilizing the industrial kits Ampli ACE2 rs2074192, AMPLI ACE2 *rs2106809, AMPLI ACE2 *rs2106809, AMPLI-SET-ACE I/D, AMPLI-SET-AGT T174M, AMPLI-SET-AGT M235T and AMPLI SET AGTR1 A1166C (Dia-Chem) in accordance with the producer’s procedures.
All analyses have been carried out to evaluate the potential associations between genotypes’ frequencies and gender, age, scientific variables and asymptomatic or symptomatic standing.
Allelic frequencies (%) have been estimated by gene counting and genotypes have been scored. Knowledge have been analysed by utilizing Pupil’s t-test or one-way ANOVA with Bonferroni post-test, as acceptable. Two-sided assessments have been used for evaluation and a P-value≤0.05 was thought of statistically important. All statistical evaluation was carried out by utilizing GraphPad Prism 5 software program (GraphPad Software program, La Jolla, CA, USA; https://www.graphpad.com).
A comparability between our outcomes obtained from the genotyping of our six SNPs analyzed and the allele frequency knowledge out there from the 1000 Genomes Browsers (A Deep Catalog of Human Genetic Variation, https://www.internationalgenome.org) and from the Genome Aggregation Database v3.1 (GnomAD, https://gnomad.broadinstitute.org)16,17 was carried out. Within the case of rs1799752 ACE1 I/D polymorphism, for which frequency knowledge are usually not out there, we used our mutational knowledge obtained in a earlier examine on 825 Italian topics.18
The frequencies of every SNPs genotype have been in contrast with these anticipated for a inhabitants in Hardy–Weinberg equilibrium (HWE). For rs2074192 and rs2106809, the HWE was analyzed individually for females and males as a result of localization of the ACE gene on X chromosome. The importance of the variations of noticed alleles and genotypes, haplotype frequencies and associations between teams in addition to evaluation of a number of inheritance fashions (codominant, dominant, recessive, over dominant, and log-additive) have been examined utilizing free web-based purposes SNPStats software program (http://bioinfo.iconcologia.net/snpstats/start.htm) and SHEsis software program (http://analysis.bio-x.cn/myAnalysis.php).19–21
Comparability of Allelic Frequencies with World Inhabitants Databases
Our examine inhabitants included 104 Caucasian people, as examined constructive for SARS-CoV-2 after naso-oropharyngeal swabs and subdivided in 50 asymptomatic topics and 54 moderate-to-severe COVID-19 sufferers.
We first carried out a comparability of the allele frequencies obtained from our topics and the information out there within the 1000 Genomes Venture Section 3, utilizing world and European inhabitants knowledge, and GnomAD genomes v3.1 databases by extrapolating world inhabitants (Table 1). Solely rs699 SNP displayed a major completely different frequency distribution in our inhabitants with respect to world inhabitants from the 1000 Genome Venture (P<0.00001) and GnomAD genomes (P=0.006877) however no important distinction with the European Inhabitants from the 1000 Genome Venture (P=0.14).
Desk 1 Comparability Between Allele Frequencies Obtained from the Genotyping of Our Research and the Allele Frequency Knowledge Accessible from the 1000 Genomes and GnomAD Databases
Genotype Affiliation Evaluation
Distributions of genotypes and allele frequencies of the analyzed polymorphism noticed in our inhabitants are listed in Table 2. No important variations in all topics have been discovered between genotypes frequencies and gender or age, and no affiliation was recognized within the group of symptomatic sufferers relating to severity of pneumonia, weight problems, hypertension, diabetes and presence of conjunctivitis. Conversely, evaluating the allele frequencies obtained between asymptomatic topics and symptomatic sufferers we discovered a major distinction for rs2074192 (P=0.001754), rs1799752 (P>0.00001) and rs699 (P=0.0334759) variants.
Desk 2 Distributions of Genotype and Allele Frequencies of SNPs rs2074192, rs2106809, rs1799752, rs4762, rs699 and rs5186 Noticed in Asymptomatic and Symptomatic Sufferers
Genotype distribution of rs2074192 was completely different from these predicted by the HWE for each females (P=0.0088) and males (P<0.0001) in symptomatic group. Specifically, for the male group, the T/T genotype was extra frequent in codominant [odds ratio (95% CI): 15.79 (1.90–131.47), P=0.0019], dominant [odds ratio (95% CI): 5.61 (1.41–22.40), P=0.0069] and recessive [odds ratio (95% CI): 16.50 (1.99–136.49), P=0.0005] inheritance fashions, whereas for the feminine group, the C/T genotype exhibits a better frequency in symptomatic sufferers in codominant [odds ratio (95% CI): 0.32 (0.08–1.21), P=0.0018] and overdominant [odds ratio (95% CI): 0.19 (0.55–0.69), P=0.0086] inheritance fashions.
Equally, the genotypic frequencies within the group of symptomatic sufferers have been completely different from these predicted by the HWE for rs1799752 (P=0.037). The II genotype of rs1799752 variant was related to a decrease frequency in symptomatic topics in codominant [odds ratio (95% CI): 0.05 (0.00–0.07), P<0.0001], dominant [odds ratio (95% CI): 0.02 (0.00–0.14), P=<0.0001] recessive [odds ratio (95% CI): 0.02 (0.00–0.14), P<0.0001] and log-additive [odds ratio (95% CI): 0.08 (0.02–0.25), P<0.0001] inheritance fashions. Conversely, distributions of rs699 (P=0.0018) have been completely different by Hardy–Weinberg distribution within the asymptomatic sufferers with a T/C genotype much less frequent on this group in codominant [odds ratio (95% CI): 0.69 (0.13–3.72), P<0.0001], overdominant [odds ratio (95% CI): 0.17 (0.04–0.76), P<0.015] and log-additive [odds ratio (95% CI): 4.83 (1.36–17.16), P<0.009] inheritance fashions. Genotype distributions of rs4762 and rs5186 variants didn’t differ considerably from these predicted by the HWE and their frequencies didn’t considerably differ between asymptomatic and symptomatic sufferers (Table 2). As an alternative, the rs2106809 variant was discovered to be in disequilibrium in each symptomatic and asymptomatic teams solely in male sufferers.
Haplotype evaluation carried out utilizing rs2074192, rs1799752 and rs699 SNPs, demonstrated the incidence of 9 haplotypes. Specifically, the haplotypes CIT and TIC have been considerably increased in asymptomatic sufferers (P=0.00001 and P=0.048806, respectively), whereas haplotypes TDT and TDC have been related to symptomatic affected person group (P=0.001157 and P=0.000052, respectively). The prevalence of the opposite haplotypes was comparable between the 2 teams (Table 3).
Desk 3 Haplotype Evaluation Carried out on rs2074192, rs1799752 and rs699 SNPs and Their Corresponding Frequencies in Asymptomatic (N= 50) and Symptomatic (N= 54) Sufferers
We analyzed the genetic variants situated on ACE2 (rs2074192, rs2106809), ACE1 (rs1799752), AGT (rs4762, rs699) and AGTR1 (rs5186) genes in a cohort of 104 Italian sufferers constructive for SARS-COV-2 an infection, divided into 54 symptomatic COVID-19 sufferers and 50 asymptomatic topics, as a way to examine the potential correlation of some polymorphisms of the RAAS pathway with the susceptibility to SARS-CoV-2 an infection and the scientific consequence of illness.
COVID-19 is a extreme type of lung illness (infectious pneumonia) resulting in respiratory failure in acute kinds. Lung lesions stay after therapeutic. Symptomatic sufferers present interstitial bilateral pneumonia (a number of foci) and have 1) dyspnea “starvation for air”, 2) dry cough and three) excessive fever. CT and PCR are elective diagnostic instruments. Along with nostril and mouth epithelia, the ocular constructions (cornea, conjunctiva and retina) have been discovered to specific excessive ranges of ACE2 and TMPRSS2 (two fundamental virus doorways) and tears can unfold the virus by way of the nasolacrimal system. Though having excessive ranges of ACE2 and TMPRSS2, some antiviral countermeasures to decrease virus an infection on the ocular floor have been recognized.22 As well known, RAAS represents the primary gate for SARS-CoV-2.
On this pilot examine, we discovered that the rs2074192 (ACE2), rs1799752 (ACE1) and rs699 (AGT) SNPs may doubtlessly be a worthwhile instrument for predicting the scientific consequence of SARS-CoV-2 contaminated sufferers.
The ACE2 gene (OMIM *300335, Cytogenetic location: Xp22.2) encodes a floor enzyme protein with in depth organic actions together with the impact of antagonism on RAAS-promoting launch of vasoactive peptides with a vasodilating, anti-inflammatory and organ-protective impact, suggesting a job within the regulation of cardiovascular, renal and even fertility features.23 This enzyme is expressed on cell membranes of lungs, arteries, coronary heart, kidneys, intestines and eye (cornea, conjunctiva and retina) tissues. This enzyme catalyzes the cleavage of angiotensin I into angiotensin 1–9,8 and angiotensin II into the angiotensin 1–7.24 This protein is a practical receptor for the spike glycoprotein of HCoV-NL63, SARS-CoV and SARS-CoV-2 human extreme acute respiratory syndrome coronaviruses, permitting glycoprotein internalization into goal host cells and subsequent intracellular replication and transcription of virus.23,25 Benetti et al recognized three polymorphisms (rs41303171, rs148771870, rs4646116) doubtlessly chargeable for the destabilization of ACE2 protein, by evaluating the outcomes of a whole-exome sequencing knowledge of 6930 Italian management topics with the 131 COVID-19 sufferers and 258 wholesome controls.26 As well as, Benetti and coworkers noticed a better allelic variability within the management group in contrast with COVID-19 affected person one, hypothesizing that this heterogeneity could also be chargeable for the broad scientific variability of COVID-19 illness.26
Cao et al, by analyzing 1700 ACE2 variant from ChinaMAP and 1000 Genomes Venture databases and evaluating the allele frequency variations between completely different populations, recognized a truncating mutation and 7 hotspot variants doubtlessly associated to completely different susceptibility to SARS-CoV-2 an infection.27 Asselta et al in contrast ACE2 exome and SNP-array knowledge from an Italian cohort of three.984 circumstances failing to establish any affiliation with the severity of illness.28 Novelli et al, in a whole-exome sequencing pilot examine carried out on 131 Italian COVID-19 sufferers, recognized three ACE2 gene variants (rs2285666, rs41303171 and rs140312271) of which solely the rs140312271 confirmed a considerably completely different statistical frequency in comparison with an ethnicity-matched management group.29
On this examine, we’ve got recognized for the rs2074192 SNP (situated at intron 16 of ACE2 gene) a major increased frequency of the T allele within the symptomatic group in comparison with the asymptomatic ones in each females and males (Table 2). The T allele of rs2074192 polymorphism is already recognized for its affiliation with cardiovascular threat, retinopathy in type-2 diabetes mellitus people, hypertension and hypertensive left ventricular hypertrophy.30,31 Moreover, it ought to be famous that our knowledge are in settlement with a really latest massive examine carried out on 1644 COVID-19 sufferers from the UK Biobank, exhibiting that the T allele is correlated with extra extreme outcomes of SARS-COV2 an infection.32
The ACE1 gene (OMIM 106180, cytogenetic location: 17q23.3) encodes an enzyme physiologically lively on blood strain regulation and electrolyte stability by catalyzing the conversion of angiotensin I (vasodilator) right into a physiologically lively peptide angiotensin II (vasoconstrictor) and aldosterone-stimulating peptide that additionally controls blood strain and electrolyte stability.33 The ACE additionally inactivates bradykinin in BK (vasodilator) that would play a related function in COVID-19 as already described for different viral fashions.34 Roughly 50% of variability in plasma ranges of ACE depends upon the rs1799752 polymorphism, situated at intron 16 of the ACE1 gene and characterised by the presence of an insertion (I) or a deletion (D) of a 287 bp Alu repeat sequence, instantly associated to a decrease or increased serum ACE ranges, respectively.18 The presence of allele D is related to a better threat of hypercoagulability, hypertension, endothelial harm, diabetic nephropathy, diabetes mellitus and the chance of obese/weight problems, cerebral ischemia and response to Interferon-β therapy.35 Furthermore, sufferers with the D/D genotype present an elevated imply pulmonary arterial strain and vascular resistance after train, as in comparison with the remaining genotypes when handled with ACE inhibitors corresponding to captopril.14 A latest examine carried out evaluating COVID-19 prevalence and rs1799752 allele frequency knowledge, recovered by Johns Hopkins College and GnomAD, respectively, demonstrates that the ACE1 I/I genotype is considerably negatively correlated with susceptibility to SARS-CoV-2 an infection and worse scientific consequence.36 These outcomes are consistent with our knowledge indicating that genotype I/I and allele I are considerably extra frequent within the asymptomatic than symptomatic affected person group (Table 2).
The AGT gene (OMIM 106150, cytogenetic location: 1q42.2) encodes for the angiotensinogen precursor or pre-angiotensinogen, extremely expressed in liver as precursor and rapidly cleaved into angiotensin I by renin following a diminished blood strain. In flip, angiotensin I, by way of the cleavage carried out by the ACE is transformed into angiotensin II, a physiologically lively kind that participates within the homeostasis of electrolytes and the soundness of blood strain.35 Quite a few experimental evidences counsel that sequence variants of this gene are correlated with hypertension, coronary heart failure and cardiovascular threat components.37 Specifically, for rs699 SNP, the presence of the TT genotype has been related to the event of arterial hypertension, systolic blood strain, coronary artery illness, imply arterial strain.38–40 Sufferers with the TT genotype and hypertension might have an elevated threat of stroke when handled with ACE inhibitors.41 In our examine, the rs699 SNP, as a singular case, displayed a major elevated frequency of the T allele compared to the worldwide inhabitants from the 1000 Genome Venture and GnomAD whereas it didn’t differ from the information extrapolated from the European inhabitants (Table 1). Moreover, we additionally discovered a decrease frequency of the T/C genotype within the group of asymptomatic sufferers completely different by the Hardy–Weinberg distribution (Table 2), however at the moment there are not any knowledge of this polymorphism in COVID-19 sufferers as a way to make a comparability.
The outcomes of this examine, albeit with a restricted however well-selected variety of sufferers, counsel that some gene variants of RAAS pathway may modulate some pathological situations related to the heterogeneous scientific image attributable to SARS-CoV-2 an infection corresponding to disseminated intravascular coagulation and thrombosis, interstitial pneumonia, conjunctivitis and the cytokine storm.14,36,42 Moreover, knowledge would counsel that the early genetic analysis of topics contaminated with SARS-CoV-2 can predict the continuing/severity of illness, changing into a useful gizmo for choosing these sufferers deserving extra consideration to keep away from issues. This customized method (predictive drugs) would possibly symbolize a step ahead within the improvement of methods to counteract this sophisticated pandemic state of affairs, critically affecting worldwide.
On this context, precision drugs is an modern method to illness prevention and therapy primarily based on genetic variations between people and the affect of atmosphere and life-style. After mapping and sequencing the human genome, the scientific neighborhood has centered on the practical significance of all of the variations that outline the genetic characters of every affected person. A number of the parts that underlie the variations within the genome are as a result of SNPs. The examine/evaluation of SNPs finds purposes within the subject of diagnostic (differential analysis), giving clinicians the flexibility to establish particular person susceptibilities to quite a few ailments and responses to medication, together with negative effects and poisonous reactions (pharmacogenomics).43
On this regard, in a earlier examine utilizing a silicon prediction of drug results, we’ve got extensively evaluated the interactions between SNPs and medicines that present efficacy or toxicity in countering COVID-19, suggesting the applying of customized drugs instruments through the therapy of SARS-CoV-2 an infection.12 General, the primary power of this examine is the opportunity of analyzing two teams of clinically chosen sufferers for whom a selected case–management affiliation examine may very well be carried out. Actually, so far as we all know, this is without doubt one of the first research to carry out a genetic comparability between asymptomatic topics and symptomatic sufferers, whereas quite a few earlier research have in contrast knowledge from databases of inhabitants of various ancestries.
Lastly, additional molecular – epidemiological research are required to grasp the precise mechanisms underlying the scientific variability of COVID-19 illness, even in populations from completely different ethnic teams, and predict probably the most extreme scientific manifestations, to develop customized approaches or various methods.
All topics have been handled in accordance with the Helsinki Declaration of Biomedical Ethics and supplied knowledgeable consent earlier than collaborating within the examine.44
We thank Dr Vincenzo Varriale for unvaluable contribution in offering some reagents. AC and AM thank the Italian Ministry of Well being and Fondazione Roma (Italy).
All authors made substantial contributions to conception and design, acquisition of information, or evaluation and interpretation of information; took half in drafting the article or revising it critically for necessary mental content material; agreed to undergo the present journal; gave remaining approval of the model to be revealed; and conform to be accountable for all features of the work.
The authors reported no conflicts of curiosity for this work and declare that the analysis was carried out within the absence of any industrial or monetary relationships that may very well be construed as a possible battle of curiosity.
1. Zhu N, Zhang D, Wang W, et al. A novel coronavirus from sufferers with pneumonia in China, 2019. N Engl J Med. 2020;382(8):727–733. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa2001017
2. Yan R, Zhang Y, Li Y, et al. Structural foundation for the popularity of SARS-CoV-2 by full-length human ACE2. Science. 2020;367(6485):1444–1448. doi:10.1126/science.abb2762
3. Cheng Y, Luo R, Wang Okay, et al. Kidney illness is related to in-hospital dying of sufferers with COVID-19. Kidney Int. 2020;97(5):829–838. doi:10.1016/j.kint.2020.03.005
4. Kumar A, Prasoon P, Kumari C, et al. SARS-CoV-2-specific virulence components in COVID-19. J Med Virol. 2020. doi:10.1002/jmv.26615
5. Cascella M, Rajnik M, Cuomo A, et al. Options, analysis, and therapy of Coronavirus. In: StatPearls. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2021.
6. Zolfaghari ER, Nosrati H, Eftekhari M, et al. Enlargement of single cell transcriptomics knowledge of SARS-CoV an infection in human bronchial epithelial cells to COVID-19. Biol Proced On-line. 2020;22:16. doi:10.1186/s12575-020-00127-3
7. Kolberg ES, Wickstrøm Okay, Tonby Okay, et al. Serum ACE as a prognostic biomarker in COVID-19: a case sequence. APMIS. 2020. doi:10.1111/apm.13108
8. Tipnis SR, Hooper NM, Hyde R, et al. A human homolog of angiotensin-converting enzyme. Cloning and practical expression as a captopril-insensitive carboxypeptidase. J Biol Chem. 2000;275(43):33238–33243. doi:10.1074/jbc.M002615200
9. Donoghue M, Hsieh F, Baronas E, et al. A novel angiotensin-converting enzyme-related carboxypeptidase (ACE2) converts angiotensin I to angiotensin 1-9. Circ Res. 2000;87(5):E1–E9. doi:10.1161/01.res.87.5.e1
10. Zolfaghari ER, Falak R, Bahreini E. Software of system biology to discover the affiliation of neprilysin, angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2), and carbonic anhydrase (CA) in pathogenesis of SARS-CoV-2. Biol Proced On-line. 2020;22:11. doi:10.1186/s12575-020-00124-6
11. Bavishi C, Maddox TM, Messerli FH. Coronavirus illness 2019 (COVID-19) an infection and renin angiotensin system blockers. JAMA Cardiol. 2020;5(7):745–747. doi:10.1001/jamacardio.2020.1282
12. Mirabito Colafella KM, Bovée DM, Danser AHJ. The renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system and its therapeutic targets. Exp Eye Res. 2019;186:107680. doi:10.1016/j.exer.2019.05.020
13. Banu N, Panikar SS, Leal LR, Leal AR. Protecting function of ACE2 and its downregulation in SARS-CoV-2 an infection resulting in macrophage activation syndrome: therapeutic implications. Life Sci. 2020;256:117905. doi:10.1016/j.lfs.2020.117905
14. Cafiero C, Re A, Micera A, et al. Pharmacogenomics and pharmacogenetics: in silico prediction of drug results in remedies for novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV2 illness. Pharmgenomics Pers Med. 2020;13:463–484. doi:10.2147/PGPM.S270069
15. Palmirotta R, Ludovici G, De Marchis ML, et al. Preanalytical procedures for DNA research: the expertise of the interinstitutional multidisciplinary BioBank (BioBIM). Biopreserv Biobank. 2011;9(1):35–45. doi:10.1089/bio.2010.0027
16. 1000 Genomes Venture Consortium. A worldwide reference for human genetic variation. Nature. 2015;526(7571):68–74. doi:10.1038/nature15393.
17. Karczewski KJ, Francioli LC, Tiao G, et al. The mutational constraint spectrum quantified from variation in 141,456 people. Nature. 2020;581(7809):434–443. doi:10.1038/s41586-020-2308-7
18. Palmirotta R, Barbanti P, Ludovici G, et al. Affiliation between migraine and ACE gene (insertion/deletion) polymorphism: the BioBIM examine. Pharmacogenomics. 2014;15(2):147–155. doi:10.2217/pgs.13.186
19. Solé X, Guinó E, Valls J, Iniesta R, Moreno V. SNPStats: an online instrument for the evaluation of affiliation research. Bioinformatics. 2006;22(15):1928–1929. doi:10.1093/bioinformatics/btl268
20. Shi YY, He L. SHEsis, a strong software program platform for analyses of linkage disequilibrium, haplotype building, and genetic affiliation at polymorphism loci. Cell Res. 2005;15(2):97–98. doi:10.1038/sj.cr.7290272
21. Li Z, Zhang Z, He Z, et al. A partition-ligation-combination-subdivision EM algorithm for haplotype inference with multiallelic markers: replace of the SHEsis (http://analysis.bio-x.cn). Cell Res. 2009;19(4):519–523. doi:10.1038/cr.2009.33
22. Leonardi A, Rosani U, Brun P. Ocular floor expression of SARS-CoV-2 receptors. Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2020;28(5):735–738. doi:10.1080/09273948.2020.1772314
23. Devaux CA, Rolain JM, Raoult D. ACE2 receptor polymorphism: susceptibility to SARS-CoV-2, hypertension, multi-organ failure, and COVID-19 illness consequence. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2020;53(3):425–435. doi:10.1016/j.jmii.2020.04.015
24. Santos RAS, Sampaio WO, Alzamora AC, et al. The ACE2/angiotensin-(1-7)/MAS axis of the renin-angiotensin system: deal with angiotensin-(1-7). Physiol Rev. 2018;98(1):505–553. doi:10.1152/physrev.00023.2016
25. Saxena SK, Kumar S, Baxi P, et al. Chasing COVID-19 by way of SARS-CoV-2 spike glycoprotein. Virusdisease. 2020;31(4):1–9. doi:10.1007/s13337-020-00642-7
26. Benetti E, Tita R, Spiga O, et al. ACE2 gene variants might underlie interindividual variability and susceptibility to COVID-19 within the Italian inhabitants. Eur J Hum Genet. 2020;28(11):1602–1614. doi:10.1038/s41431-020-0691-z
27. Cao Y, Li L, Feng Z, et al. Comparative genetic evaluation of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2) receptor ACE2 in several populations. Cell Discov. 2020;6:11. doi:10.1038/s41421-020-0147-1
28. Asselta R, Paraboschi EM, Mantovani A, Duga S. ACE2 and TMPRSS2 variants and expression as candidates to intercourse and nation variations in COVID-19 severity in Italy. Getting old (Albany NY). 2020;12(11):10087–10098. doi:10.18632/getting older.103415
29. Novelli A, Biancolella M, Borgiani P, et al. Evaluation of ACE2 genetic variants in 131 Italian SARS-CoV-2-positive sufferers. Hum Genomics. 2020;14(1):29. doi:10.1186/s40246-020-00279-z
30. Liu C, Li Y, Guan T, et al. ACE2 polymorphisms related to cardiovascular threat in Uygurs with sort 2 diabetes mellitus. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2018;17(1):127. doi:10.1186/s12933-018-0771-3
31. Fan Z, Wu G, Yue M, et al. Hypertension and hypertensive left ventricular hypertrophy are related to ACE2 genetic polymorphism. Life Sci. 2019;225:39–45. doi:10.1016/j.lfs.2019.03.059
32. Hamet P, Pausova Z, Attaoua R, et al. SARS-COV-2 receptor ACE2 gene is related to hypertension and severity of COVID 19: interplay with intercourse, weight problems and smoking. Am J Hypertens. 2021;34:hpaa223. doi:10.1093/ajh/hpaa223
33. Krege JH, Kim HS, Moyer JS, et al. Angiotensin-converting enzyme gene mutations, blood pressures, and cardiovascular homeostasis. Hypertension. 1997;29(1):150–157. doi:10.1161/01.hyp.29.1.150
34. Meini S, Zanichelli A, Sbrojavacca R, et al. Understanding the pathophysiology of COVID-19: may the contact system be the important thing? Entrance Immunol. 2020;11:2014. doi:10.3389/fimmu.2020.02014
35. Ghafouri-Fard S, Noroozi R, Omrani MD, et al. Angiotensin changing enzyme: a evaluation on expression profile and its affiliation with human issues with particular deal with SARS-CoV-2 an infection. Vascul Pharmacol. 2020;130:106680. doi:10.1016/j.vph.2020.106680
36. Yamamoto N, Ariumi Y, Nishida N, et al. SARS-CoV-2 infections and COVID-19 mortalities strongly correlate with ACE1 I/D genotype. Gene. 2020;758:144944. doi:10.1016/j.gene.2020.144944
37. Xu Y, Rong J, Zhang Z. The rising function of angiotensinogen in cardiovascular ailments. J Cell Physiol. 2021;236(1):68–78. doi:10.1002/jcp.29889
38. Giri A, Hellwege JN, Keaton JM, et al. Trans-ethnic affiliation examine of blood strain determinants in over 750,000 people. Nat Genet. 2019;51(1):51–62. doi:10.1038/s41588-018-0303-9
39. van der Harst P, Verweij N. Identification of 64 novel genetic loci gives an expanded view on the genetic structure of coronary artery illness. Circ Res. 2018;122(3):433–443. doi:10.1161/CIRCRESAHA.117.312086
40. Liu C, Kraja AT, Smith JA, et al. Meta-analysis identifies widespread and uncommon variants influencing blood strain and overlapping with metabolic trait loci. Nat Genet. 2016;48(10):1162–1170. doi:10.1038/ng.3660
41. Kurland L, Melhus H, Karlsson J, et al. Angiotensin changing enzyme gene polymorphism predicts blood strain response to angiotensin II receptor sort 1 antagonist therapy in hypertensive sufferers. J Hypertens. 2001;19(10):1783–1787. doi:10.1097/00004872-200110000-00012
42. Ye Q, Wang B, Mao J. The pathogenesis and therapy of the `Cytokine Storm’ in COVID-19. J Infect. 2020;80(6):607–613. doi:10.1016/j.jinf.2020.03.037
43. Strianese O, Rizzo F, Ciccarelli M, et al. Precision and customized drugs: how genomic method improves the administration of cardiovascular and neurodegenerative illness. Genes (Basel). 2020;11(7):747. doi:10.3390/genes11070747
44. World Medical Affiliation Declaration of Helsinki. Moral rules for medical analysis involving human topics [document on the Internet]. Revised by the sixty fourth WMA Common Meeting, Fortlazea, Brazil, October 2013. Ferney-Voltaire: WMA; 2013. Accessible from: http://www.wma.net/e/policy/b3.html.